Bookshelf + sub vs. floorstanding

I have room which I currently use 50% for music and 50% Home Theater (I wish I could split, but no way at the moment). The room is 15 x 21 x 10 feet and I'm working on some acoustic panels to help with overall image and definition. I'm looking forward to make an upgrade on my system, more specifically buying new speakers for left and right channel. The budget is $14,000 max. I see lot of people happy with bookshelf speakers, especially for their imaging and ability to "disappear". Main complain is the lack of bass. 
I'm considering buying a nice pair of bookshelf plus a pair of sub woofers, instead of going with classical floorstanding ones. I really like a sound stage "reproduction" and that "separation" of instruments. 
What would you recommend and why? 
fabifrac
Dutch & Dutch 8C + HSU VTF-2 MK5  
If you have other gear, receiver or whatnot, just sell it, use the cash for more treatment or the next step up HSU (or dual).  

But yes, for your setup, I’d much have a 2.2 bookshelf setup over a 2.0 tower setup, as hardly any are full range and can reach >100dB in the bass at the listening position with ease .  

If you had towers that got loud enough and were true full range, than there is really no downsides, unless you have some bad room modes.

Bookshelves don’t inherently have better imaging than towers, it’s just a lot of tower designs are not optimal (like using 7” woofers as a midrange).

In my opinion the "bookshelf + sub" format arguably has greater potential because of the greater low-end extension/output/flexibility that you get with separate subs.  But the specifics matter - most "bookshelf" speakers are designed to have acceptable low-end when used without subs, so they trade off efficiency and/or max SPL capability that might be nice to have if you're going to use subs anyway.

So the "best" bookshelf speakers might not be the "best" for this application, because you really don't need your bookshelf speakers to extend much if any below about 80 Hz.  And if home theater is on the menu, then max SPL probably matters.  So imo you'd be looking for "bookshelf" speakers that go pretty loud but don't necessarily go very low.  Not that these are the only things that matter of course, but imo there is no point in spending money for deep bass from your bookshelf speakers when higher output capability would better serve you.

Duke

dealer/manufacturer

Post removed