Which band IS really America's Greatest (rock & roll band)?

When I consider my priorities for this category, I cannot come up with any other than CCR.

Their output as a band was short compared to others, yes..

When I say America's greatest rock & roll band, this = the output or even the basis on which a band formed, had in their DNA, America's roots! It doesn't even matter that we now know CCR formed in California, their DNA as a band transformed their birthplace but it more importantly brought forth the (soul) of get down and dirty) Rock & Roll in it's raw form!

HELL YEAH!
128x128slaw
For their influence the Velvet Underground.
For music pleasure CCR and the Allman Brothers.
Agree with you dodgealum. R.E.M. sounded so different. In addition to starting out 'indie' and different, they were able to catch the MTV wave and ride right up into stadiums and super group status.

I think when considering 'greatest' discussions that popularity, sales and charts are important. I don't think they should be THE criteria but I still think you have to take it into account. There are a lot of artists listed here that are great in their own right but relatively obscure, or short lived that no matter how good they were really don't rise to 'greatest of all times' status. Certainly influence is important but I think in terms of 'greatest' all of these things have to be there.
The "most American" band would have to be "Indigenous", three siblings and a cousin from the Nakota Nation, So. Dakota.  Listen to "Things We Do", their first album, 1998.  Blues guitar phenom in the style of SRV.