I am a "Moron"

And I will tell you why I am a moron. First I have gone through a great deal of effort and expense, to get playback of my vinyl collection utilizing my PC to sound identical to just playing a record.

There was much discussion and debate about this on the PC forum, in regard as to how to accomplish this feat. Essential, was the "computer analog interface", plus you had to change some of the cards in your PC; which kind of PC didn't matter. Many people knowledgeable of various interfaces submitted their solutions; while mine is not the most expensive, it gets the same results as those which are more expensive because it's heavily modified with the most expensive "Nichicon capacitors".

Everyone testified that there was not one iota of difference between playing a record, and listening to playback through the PC.

I also read of an account of an audiophile who could afford almost anything. He belonged to an audio club that met once a month; it was the kind that discussed the merits of Koetsu Coral stone, over other equally fine cartridges, while sipping vintage wine. They were devoted to the best tone arms and turntables as well.

This audiophile had everything except time. He read where he could down load his vinyl to PC, and enjoy the same playback without handling his precious records. Naturally he was skeptical, but no less than "Stereophile" assured him this was possible. After accomplishing this feat, he no longer played his records, but enjoyed them the new way.

When it was his turn to host the meeting, he did not divulge this, but continued to engage in the conversation as though he was still experimenting with tone arms, cartridges and etc. I believe if he had revealed his secret, he would have been banned from the club.

The reason I say I am a moron is because I have tried more than once to share my knowledge on the "Analog forum", to be completely and emphatically rejected.

Anyone who does the same thing numerous times expecting different results, is a moron; especially when they get the same results each time.

orpheus10

When I did my thing, nothing like what you have was available, and my only recourse was to buy what was available and rebuild it utilizing prime parts. The case wasn't big enough, and I had to even rebuild that; it reminded me of the very early days when audiophiles had to design and build their own rigs.

Thanks to your post, if anything ever goes wrong I'll know what to do.

As you know, the better equipment you have, and the more attention you pay to detail, the better the audio.

A top notch interface is essential to transferring analog to digital, your computer must like what you're feeding it, or it will not digest it properly

https://www.amazon.com/RME-ADI-2-Pro-4-out-Converter/dp/B01MTWM896/ref=pd_sbs_267_2?_encoding=UTF8&a...

I also use an Audio Blaster sound card, plus an external hard drive, and WAV as opposed to FLAC; that's why there is "0" difference between playing a record, and listening to the playback from my hard drive; I can even distinguish the minute differences between cartridges; which is why I have to re-record my vinyl if I upgrade cartridges and want to hear the improvement.

That's a lot of trouble, but it's worth it to me. In regard to FLAC versus WAV;

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/flac-vs-wav

If you are an "audiophile", all of this matters; if you want to have a perpetual smile on your face while enjoying records you have spent a lifetime collecting, without having to turn a single record over, this is the way to go.

WRONG !!

Fine for archiving, not listening.

Lazy listener syndrome. Too much work to deal with vinyl, so I'll just let my computer do the work. Sellout indeed !!

Crazyeddy, I have never met a computer expert who owned a single record, or a record player. Nor have I communicated with an "audiophile" who knows much about computers; myself included.

My computer "guru" has a degree in computer science, and with his knowledge I'm able to make astounding accomplishments, such as playback that is indistinguishable from just playing a record straight out.

There is no way I would spend the time, money, and effort required for what I have done, just to archive some records.

As I explained in a previous post, I had to repeat this process of down loading my collection into an external hard drive, in order to enjoy a cartridge upgrade, plus a new phono with NOS Telefunken tubes.

Now I can appreciate, or should I say "savor" all of the nuances my labors have brought about, without leaving my listening chair to even turn over one single solitary record. This enables me to get into the depths of the listening experience.

I don't have any secrets; the information for one of the ways for you to duplicate my experience is on this thread.

Enjoy the music.