Please tutor me on some integrated amp basics.

I’ve recently purchased Magico A3 speakers and a VPI Classic 2 SE turntable with an Ortofon Black 2M moving magnet cartridge. I have a Marantz SA 8005 CD/SACD player to play the few (maybe a hundred or so) CD’s in my possession.
I’ve mostly vinyl albums and no streaming sources. I’m next going to upgrade my old amp/preamp purchased back in the late 70’s with a new, probably integrated, one and am starting to do some research.

Here’s where I need some tutoring. A lot has changed since the seventies with the advent of digital technology. As well as I need to learn more about amplification components in the high end of audio technology. I keep running across terms I don’t understand. I’ll give you a list and if someone would be kind enough to explain these basics I’d be obliged.

For instance I was reading about the Hegel H360 integrated amp that Magico’s Alon Wolf recommended for their A3’s. The review mentioned they were a Class A/B amp, another person commented Class A’s were better, and a third person said he didn’t care for Class D amps. What do these classes signify? 

A second question is about DACs. I generally understand their purpose of the DAC, converting a digital to an analog signal. However my only digital device, the Marantz SA 8005 already has a DAC, ostensibly of good quality. The turntable ’s Ortofon cartridge would not need to play through a DAC, I presume. Would I bypass the CD’s players DAC if I purchase the higher quality Hegel H360 integrated amp?. Or could I find an equivalent integrated amp without an integral DAC?

On the other side of the equation I understand the turntable’s cartridge cannot play through the Hegel without first going through a phono stage. My old Phase Linear 4000 preamp you just plugged the turntables RCA cables into the back of the preamp and you were done. What’s that about? Do they make equivalent integrated amps to the Hegel H360 with integrated phono stages already in place, so I can just plug my turntable in as I’ve been able to do before. The amps don’t seem to be well integrated at all if you have to add a pricey phono stage to make them work, and end up having an extra DAC. That’s just me whining.

Third question is what are monoblocks, how are they used, and what are their advantages to a system? They were used at one of my speaker auditions.

I figured out the answer to what amplifier damping was myself, so I’m sparing you that one, but what does the term impedance mean? I keep coming across that.

Thank goodness I don’t have to figure out the cabling nightmare yet. Thanks for any help.

Mike
skyscraper
+1 on Luxman.  I upgraded from Hegel H360 to the Luxman L-590AXII, and the improvement was significant. 
I would not get too hung up about the operational class of an amplifier : just that it has the necessary power for your speakers and the sound quality you want.  I personally feel the Hegel H360 would be an excellent choice : it's has lots of power, great bass control, and an excellent built in DAC (with it's own dedicated power supply & more).  The A3's are power hungry. It will absolutely smoke any integrated amp made by Parasound.  Luxman's are nice as well : but you would need one of the higher power versions - not the lower power class A models.

The Marantz SA8005 is a good CD player - but the DAC inside the Hegel is much better.  If you get one : use the digital outputs of the Marantz to the Hegel instead.

RE using your turntable.  Yes, there are integrated amps with the necessary phono preamp in them, but frankly in my experience most of them are somewhat medicore.  This is one of the reasons Hegel doesnt include on in his integrated amps.  They feel that other companies make much better external ones. I agree.  There are good external phono preamps starting at $200 - and by the time you get to $700 - 900 - much better than any integrated amp internal one I've come across.  Part of the problem is noise : you're talking very low level signals that are sensitive to noise.  Better to take that off board.  

Monoblock amps : don't worry about them.  Outside of your budget if you want good ones.

Hope that helps!  I think you're on the right path w/ a Hegel H360 : it's a very good complement to the A3 - both as an integrated amp and as a source.
I think you can do better than Hegel.  I know you want to buy new, and 5-6K is the limit.  Luxman and Modwright are two good suggestions.  I don't know how far up the Sim Moon line the $$ get you, but I'd also take them over Hegel.
Thank you all for your thoughtful replies.

Kosst_amojan, I still don’t understand what amplifier "classes" are referring to. Pardon me for being a beginner at this, but I am trying to learn so I can understand why one class might be preferable to another.

Djones51, thanks for you explanation. I’m guessing all the old peamps/ integrated amps must have had phono stages built in. All of us back then only used turntables as sources, unless you happened to have a reel to reel tape deck too. I take it from your reply there are integrated amps out there with integral phono stages. I’ve been out of this for so long I just didn’t know.

Onhwy61, I hadn’t thought about being able to use my Phase 4000 as a phono stage. Thanks for that idea, and how to hook it up to the Hegel. If I can’t find an equivalent to the Hegel with an integral phono stage that’s exactly what I’ll do until I can afford one.

Here’s a follow-up question, borne out of ignorance. Will using my Phase Linear 4000, which cost considerably less than 2K, as a phono stage markedly degrade my system and how, until I can get one in a higher price and quality range?

Jarcher, honestly I can’t get hung up on amplifier classes since I don’t know what they mean. I’d love to get an explanation. Thanks for clarifying that the Hegel’s DAC is much better than the Marantz SA8005’s. That’s something I really needed to find out. I can continue to use the Marantz’s DAC to listen to movies through the stereo system I suppose, so it won’t be a complete waste, and bypass it otherwise.

Thanks for pointing out that integral phono stages are typically not up to the quality of separates especially at the $700+ price point. Guess I’ll have to bite the bullet and get one. Thank you so much for your very helpful post. You answered some questions I’ve been trying to figure out the answers to. 

Georgehifi, yysantabara, jonto, 2psyop, twoleftears,and respected_ent, Ill check into your integrated amp recommends and links provided.

Could someone please explain what the amplifier classes mean, like Class A, D A/B etc. All the reviews mention them and I’m clueless as to what the are talking, or arguing about, with people who are invested in one type or another.

I’d still like to know what impedance means too. The reviewers are always mentioning 4 or 8 ohm impedances for higher or lower efficiency speakers.

Thanks, this is becoming clearer.

Mike