Which band IS really America's Greatest (rock & roll band)?

When I consider my priorities for this category, I cannot come up with any other than CCR.

Their output as a band was short compared to others, yes..

When I say America's greatest rock & roll band, this = the output or even the basis on which a band formed, had in their DNA, America's roots! It doesn't even matter that we now know CCR formed in California, their DNA as a band transformed their birthplace but it more importantly brought forth the (soul) of get down and dirty) Rock & Roll in it's raw form!

HELL YEAH!
128x128slaw
One more thing let’s not forget Steely Dan ,CCR, And the late great SRV,      Alman brothers, and Leonard Skinner. 
In_shore, we were all in love with Michelle Phillips. Please don't be monopolizing her attention. I suppose you could make a realistic and valid argument she was so appealing, that alone would make the Mamas and Papas the greatest American band of all time. I might have to rethink my Big Brother and the Holding Company position now that you mentioned her.

Mike
Can we all just calm down!?  Lemme break it down 4ya:

A.L.L.M.A.N.  B.R.O.S.

That is all.
Funny some of the suggestions for the foreign bands. I love Neil, U2, Rush, the Stones, the Band, etc...but they ain't 'merican.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers would likely be #1 in my book 
R.E.M and the Talking Heads could argue for a next spot
But I can't believe no one has mentioned Steely Dan??? 7 phenomenal albums before the pause. Jazzy yes but the quality and breadth of their work over 10+ years has few American peers.