Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

No frogman,it is you who missed the point; Kurt Weils couldn't sing if his life depended on it, he should stick to writing.

Of course we know Ella can sing, but in my opinion, that song, according to the words should convey the urgent desperation to out race time and the descending curtain; it should convey passion and the need to fill available time with wild romance and love; which Carmen's does; while Ella's conveys beauty; beauty is not a substitute for passion.

All the words to that song convey love, passion, and time; "time is a thief"; the curtain will descend, and everything ends, all too soon.

Time is so old and love so brief
Love is pure gold and time a thief.

The couple staring across the table and looking into each others eyes, while listening to Sonny Clark's music, who knew the words, got the message that "Love is pure gold and time is a thief". Life was for those who lived it, not for those who watched others live it.

Another case of a great diva who missed the message was "lady Day"; she sang a song the wrong way that someone else chose at the last minute, and she was very angry about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMgK3vi4rMw

This is the way it should have been sung;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf27yA20OhU

You tell me why Lorez sang it the way it should have been sung, and Billy didn't; not my words in regard to the song but "Billie Holiday's".

Two more nice versions of the great tune, nsp. Thanks for those. I know the Milt Jackson version well, but had not heard the Clarke/Boland. The Boland/Clarke big band has always been one of my favorite big bands, but had never heard their sextet recordings. Always appreciate hearing new pieces of the puzzle. Here’s an interesting version. I don’t like to post things that I don’t particularly like. What’s the point, right? Well, I find this version interesting for a few reasons even though I’m very mixed in how I feel about it.  First, I love Stan Getz. I think he was one of the most beautiful tenor players ever with an amazing sense of melodism and I am interested in anything he recorded. This recording has always driven me a bit mad. The rhythm section, especially the piano player Albert Daily plays in a way that to my ears just doesn’t complement Stan’s fairly traditional style. The piano underpinnings are very modern in approach; very much like the way McCoy Tyner (with Trane) would play and creates a stylistic clash to my ears. Taken on its own, Stan’s playing is brilliant as always. What’s your take on this?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tajiSHADer8
Mars and Venus, O-10 and I’m ok with that.  If interested in another shot at getting my point, please reread my post; but, since you’re so hell bent on shooting down any point I might be making it would probably be pointless.  I would, however, gently remind you of Rule No.5 from “Rules For Aficionados”......Unfortunately, it seems the guard checking at the door is on lunch break 😊

Inspired by mary_jo, time for a little levity:

Q: How can one tell if the floor of the stage is level?
A: The viola player is drooling out of both sides of his mouth. 

😊

This is absolutely incredible; not because it's John Coltrane blowing, but because it's so "seductive"; this music makes the object of the music (the lady with the big black floppy hat) absolutely irresistible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8eYVN8hAlU

Songs tell stories, or incite emotions; Billie Holiday was a master at both.