Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant
Indeed we each experience heard input individually. However, I / we noted a broad correlation between what individuals reported and what our lab / theoretical models supported.

Agreed, the controversial part is the hearability. Generally speaking the "scientific" camp asserts that a large portion of the authentic audio signal is undetectable by the "naked" ear. That assertion is upheld by blind A/B tests with statistical modeling. They are unarguably correct on their terms. Many also require an analytical structure to verify what they hear and absent that, are unwilling to commit to the legitimacy of an experienced phenomenon (what they heard).

On the other hand, a small set of top end recordists and self-identified audiophiles can and do hear much of what the "scientists" deem unhearable, sometimes requiring significant elapsed time to understand and believe what they are hearing. They often don't care what the statistical models say is valid; they believe their ears and may or may not care to argue, justify or prove their opinion. The science guys think they are making it up. I think they are believing their senses.

A seminal, foundational understanding that allowed Thiel Audio to be, grow and succeed on its own terms, was that we agreed to disassociate from not only the established "truths", but also what other designer / manufacturers were doing and.or claiming to do. By focusing on our own work and believing where it led us, we were able to establish our own truth, which was always correlatable with measurements, but not driven by them. Of course that process might have been better informed or more enlightened or perhaps greater resources (staff and funds) may have produced more elegant work . . . but we did manage to create a body of work with internal integrity which brought joy to scores of thousands of customers and the acclimation of many dozens of design and engineering awards.

In my own work I call my process "contemplative understanding and design". That calls on intuition and insight in addition to analytical cognition and includes leaps of imagination in its process.
I continue to find this thread a most enjoyable addiction simply because the technical and emotional aspects being bandied back forth appeal to either camp in ways that neither can fully reason.  To have gained the in-depth background that Tom has supplied on Thiel is to admire even more the man and the brand.  Though most of what Tom has explained within this forum goes way over my head, it all turns out to be in pursuit of the emotional - which is why I joined the dialogue here in the first place.  

Thiel was not the first speaker that “wowed” me. In my wayward youth, saving up for my first stereo system, I was impressed by most of the popular brands at the time, Advent, Acoustic Research, etc. However, Thiel was the first speaker to show me that my ears weren’t necessarily paying close attention to much back in them days. 

When I got my first pair of Thiel speakers, CS2.2, I hooked ‘em up, flipped on the integrated, tossed in a cd, and as I walked back to sit down I literally stopped dead in my tracks.  I was hearing something I never truly heard before even though I had listened to that record a hundred times before. What I had enjoyed before was now being presented in an entirely different manner. The sound was organic, void of coloration. The influence they had upon what was a pretty meager low-fi arrangement was immediate and tangible.  It wasn’t just one part of the spectrum that had improved, it was the entire spectrum, the whole Megillah...For lack of a better description my stereo found something more harmonious, more natural.  Things simply synched. 

Many years ago I was at a party standing next to a fellow guest whom, for no immediately apparent reason, started humming along to some music that was playing in the background.  A few more minutes flew by and her humming evolved into singing.  As her volume increased I remember FEELING the timbre in her voice, the tension, in my bones.  No mic, no amplification, an acoustically unfriendly room stuffed with people and ambient noise, and I was floored. That’s a “wow” moment if ever there was one. 

Thiel CS2.2 did that to me, too.  Thiel makes ANYTHING sound better than it deserves to be. All it takes is your first pair.  

PS:  it’s a slow journey back to my “hifi”.  Today I hooked up the new Bluesound Powernode 2i to my Meadowlark Kestrels. The Blue is a streamer/server powered with class d amplification.  This is the most modest “system” I’ve had in over a decade - and it IS modest indeed. It is SMALL. My cabinet looks empty - especially after having previously accommodated Pass, BAT, and other dimensionally superior equipment. 

But ya know what?  I am more than a little pleased with how this thing and the Kestrels sound.  I discovered a pair of Synergistic Research speaker cables in my snakepit and hooked them up.  Overall the sonics are very even keeled - the Kestrels share a good deal of Thiel-like attributes. Expecting a “this will have to do for a while” resignation  I found that I have a “this ain’t so shabby at all” thing going on.  

Now, if only a cheap pair of 2.2 or 2.3’s would become geographically desirable...

On the subject of cable/equipment “burn in”...

I’ve been in the wine business for my entire adult life. Some folks consider me an “expert”, most others far more advanced in this profession than I  respect my experience and opinion. 

It continues to impress me how some of my colleagues are able to extract nuances and/or subtleties in a wine that I miss, and vice versa. There are people attuned to things that I am not and it’s a helluva lotta fun to sit around listening to how they arrive at their opinions, and my own as well. 

Can one hear the changes produced at a cable’s molecular level by running current through it for a while?  I have to say yes in all probability because,  in my profession I’ve witnessed folks correctly guessing the origin of a wine, it’s vintage, even it’s vineyard location - tasted in a blind setting.  That I may not be able to detect any difference doesn’t detract from my enjoyment of it. 

In fact it serves to magnify it.  

oblgny
Spoken like a true connoisseur in hobby, life and work.  Good to see you here as always. I will keep my eyes peeled for those 2.2 or 2.3 models.
Happy Listening!
andy2
Our senses are both objective and subjective depending on the breadth, depth,  of the matter at issue.  Good to see you.  Happy Listening!