CDs Vs LPs

Just wondering how many prefer CDs over LPs  or LPs over CDs for the best sound quality. Assuming that both turntable and CDP are same high end quality. 
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xtattooedtrackman
Atmasphere 10-10-2018
... aliasing is highly audible in small amounts where harmonic distortion is not.
And likewise timing jitter is highly audible in small amounts. Which depending on the design of the specific equipment that is used can be introduced during A/D conversion in the recording process, and during D/A conversion in the playback process, and in the latter case regardless of whether a one-box CD player or a transport/DAC combination is used. And that in turn can be affected by the condition of the disc. In a thread here a few years ago one of our particularly knowledgeable members, Kirkus, described experience on the test bench in which he regularly observed noise generated by disc tracking servos finding its way to the point of D/A conversion in CDPs and thereby contributing to jitter, to a degree that depended on how "hard" the servos had to work to track particular discs.

So all sorts of subtle hardware and disc dependent effects can be among the "wide range of variables" you referred to.

Glennewdick 10-10-2018
Why do we have to be in anyone camp lets have a foot in both...

+1.

Regards,
-- Al
Ticks and pops can be on the surface of the LP, but far more of them are caused by poorly designed phono equalizers that are unstable, resulting in a tick or pop that isn't actually on the LP. About 95% of ticks and pops have this origin.
I am sorry, but this is complete BS. 

Not complete BS!  I upgraded my phono amp. a few months ago and one of the biggest differences is the reduction in surface noise, both pops and ticks. They are there but reduced in impact.  The surface noise is detached from the music unike when I tried a "budget" phono amp.  No going back! 
Ralph, I don’t want to have this discussion. That’s why in my first post I said:

The CD vs LP debate is about preference, not who’s right or wrong. I hope we can get past that old argument someday. Both formats are capable of very good and very bad sound.

and I’ll leave it at that.
While I am weeding my LPs, I have noticed an odd thing. When I play a variety of older LPs, (early 50's Classical) They clearly have a warm, 'tube' sound. Jazz Lps from the same era do not, nor do later Lps at all.   
So i 'postulate' the love for "Shaded Dog' RCA is just the desire for that sort of tube sound created by the equipment used to create the Lps. Personally I find it useless. For me it is like listening to some stereo I owned back in 1965. Where most all other LPs have an amazing clarity and natural sound. Unlike the very warmed over, and rather muddy sound of those overly tube based recordings. I have to admit this all may be just due to worm pressings. and not the actual recordings in a pristine state. Later Shaded Dogs seem more normal sounding.. Just sayin'..