Most underrated composer of 20th Century?

My choice is Bohuslav Martinu .
schubert
Newbee, I assume your post to Schubert was intended to be tongue-in-cheek. At least that's how I chose to read it. But, fwiw, I just listened to Mahler's 4th Symphony on a snowy/rainy/cold miserable day here in Philly while fiddling around on Audiogon.

Just hearing the music in the background is enough for me. Next CD will be the original sound track recording from the Jersety Boys musical, and then maybe a little Mozart, then the Beach Boys, and then ....

:)
Bifwynne, Mahler as background music! Shame on you!!!! You're going to get drummed out of the club. But so far as Mahler goes you've probably picked the best one. :-)

FWIW, in order to conserve time, I usually set aside listening to classical music for those times when I read. Kills two birds at one time, neither being a mockingbird. If the book is really good and I'm listening to merely 'good' music I'm not missing much I guess. If I find myself distracted I don't know whether its because the book is really boring, the music is better than just good, or I'm admiring what I have accomplished in putting together my audio system. Another mystery to solve!

I find it most difficult to read, though, when the music was originally composed for the solo piano by Beethoven, Brahms, Chopin, Debussy, Liszt, Prokofiev, Schumann or Schubert. I do find it easy to read when the music is transcribed from orchestral works. In fact that is probably my favorite reading music.

Then there is sleeping music, Mozart, maybe at night. :-)
Brownsfan, Perhaps you don't see more of Britten's music in concert or over the radio is because of a general lack of interest. I have tried his music often but outside of a few like The Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra, Four Sea interludes, The Prince of the Pagodas, and War Requiem little seems to have stuck.

Reaching for music from the British Isles I usually reach for Bax, Bridge,Stanford, Elgar(not so often), Walton, Vaughan Williams or Bantock. BTW,Chandos has some great audiophile recordings of orchestral music by Bantock which are more than just more cow(paddy)pasture music.

I do think that Bax and Vaughan Williams may be underrated. I love Tintagel.

I feel guilty about Britten but......
Newbee, Britten speaks to me as compellingly as Shostakovich, which is saying a lot. I also like Vaughan Williams, but--- just occasionally. The rest are just hit and miss, much like Britten is for you.
Newbee , Billy Budd and Peter Grimes have sure stuck .
American audiences like warhorses more than europeans, Britten is very popular in Germany, his "Variations on a theme of Frank Bridge" was the theme song on Radio Classic Berlin for a long time. His various cello works are also common there. I heard his Violin Concerto live in Montreal, his music is broadcast a lot on CBC French service as well.

US isn't only place. I love Piano music of BAX as well, very beautiful.