PS Audio Stellar Gain DAC/Pre-amp as first foray into separate pre-amp?

Well, I've been researching and considering various pre-amps with home theater bypass, but just came across this much more affordable PS Audio Stellar Gain DAC/pre-amp.  The idea is to get something for two channel audio that has home theater bypass, so as to be able to continue to use my Denon AVR for movies and multi-channel SACD and DVD-Audio.  But I want to improve the CD and flac playback I'm now getting out of the AVR.  I would also want to get better two channel SACD audio quality than I get through the AVR over HDMI, but it seems that I would have to purchase a proprietary PS Audio SACD player that has the I2S connector to make that happen. 

The plan would be to connect my universal player via optical or coaxial digital to the Stellar Gain DAC, instead of my current signal path of the Oppo into the AVR via HDMI.  I would also connect my turntable(high output MC cartridge) to the Stellar Gain unit.  I could also connect the optical digital output from my 4K TV to the Stellar gain.  The Stellar Gain unit would be connected to my Krell FPB 400cx power amp via XLR cables(I'm not sure if this would be a good output impedance match). 

The Stellar Gain DAC/pre-amp seems very reasonably priced, at $1,700, for its capabilities and for the sound quality indicated by professional reviews.  Plus, near mint used units are available for ~$1,200.  Thoughts? 
mtrot
I think the Steller Gain DAC would be absolutely awsome in your system because of several factors:

-  SACD and PCM audio is already compromised by HDMI interface and reduces the sound quality due to timing/clocking issue inherent in the HDMI protocol.

- Steller Gain uses fully discrete Class A analog circuits which would just "sing" in comparison to your Denon

- The i2s is pretty much the best digital transport signal to send digital audio.

- Steller Gain will also be used in "Home Theater Mode" as a pass-through for the Denon when doing multi-channel movies.  The Class A analog stage of the Steller Gain will actually improve the left/right signals from Denon and give it more "life" and "singing".
Thanks for the input.  Regarding the I2S connection, is that only a PS Audio technology, or might there be some less expensive CD player that has I2S output that I could connect to the Stellar Gain?
The i2s connections are usually proprietary to the manufacturer.  Just because Steller Gain uses an HDMI plug/cable for the i2s does not mean that any old SACD player that has i2s HDMI output will use the same HDMI pins for the signals.  There is no "industry standard i2s connection" like there is for digtal COAX or HDMI.   You may end up having to buy a PS Audio transport if you want i2s (PerfectWave Transport $1999 or DirectStream Memory Player $5999).

---
However, just have your current disc player convert SACD to PCM and use the digital COAX output to connect to the Stellar Gain.  I can almost guarantee that this will be immensely better than pure SACD through the Denon.  I know it won't be true SACD/DSD, but I think you'll be very surprised on how good it PCM can sound.
@ auxinput,
Thanks for that tip about using PCM from the Oppo.  At least that will get me nice two-channel SACD audio from the Oppo, although I'll still have to use the Denon AVR to listen to multi-channel SACDs, which often sound significantly better to me than their two-channel versions. 

So, I would need to acquire a quality coaxial digital cable to go from the Oppo to the Stellar Gain, a quality USB cable to go from my laptop to the Stellar Gain, and quality XLR interconnects to go from the Stellar Gain into my Krell power amp.  Does this sound like all I would need?  And, any suggestions on the cables? 
Ah, you didn't mention what player you have.  If you have an Oppo 105 or 205, then it would be much better to use the Oppo to "play the SACD" and output pure analog using the 5.1/7.1 RCA analog outputs to your receiver.  Much better than sending SACD over HDMI and having the receiver decode/DAC the SACD data.
-----
For digital COAX, my standard "low cost" recommendation is the Beldon 1694A from Blue Jean Cable.  Make sure you get a minimum 6 foot cable (even though you don't need it).  A digital cable that is too short will have signal reflections back to the transmitter and cause errors in the square waveform pulses.   The 1694A is $20 plus shipping for an ultra cheap solution that I have found beats a lot of other cables.
---
For a big step up, I would recommend the DH Labs D-750 digital COAX.  Solid-core silver plated conductor (which is what you want for digital transmission).  A 2 meter cable is typically around $225 or so, unless you can find one used.
---
Or you can look at some of the Audioquest cables in between.