Does the Quality of the USB cable matter?

I have a Squeezebox Touch connected to my Laptop via a 50 ethernet cable.
Also connected to my laptop is an external 1TB hardrive that my music is stored on via a 5 meter USB cable.

With this set up, does the quality of the USB Cable matter ?
128x128ozzy
Gee, one wonders if USB cables are directional? You know, like HDMI cables or Ethernet cables. Or any cables, really. Say, isn’t the “digital” signal really an analog signal? Hmmmm...
As far as directionality one would think the onous would be on the manufacturer because as you know there are two different connections at either end of the cable and as it is an analogue signal wouldn't directionality and resistance be of greater importance ?
jim204
As far as directionality one would think the onous would be on the manufacturer because as you know there are two different connections at either end of the cable and as it is an analogue signal wouldn't directionality and resistance be of greater importance?

>>>>Yes, there are two different connectors at either end of the cable. Nevertheless, each separate wire involved should be controlled for directionality during the cable manufacturing process to give the signal the least resistance no matter which way the signal is going.

Correct me if I am wrong but I have read that after the drawing out process The grain sructure of the metal alows resistance to be more going one way than the other and that is presumably why the manufacturer labels their cable in the direction of least resistance.
Correct me if I am wrong but I have read that after the drawing out process The grain sructure of the metal alows resistance to be more going one way than the other and that is presumably why the manufacturer labels their cable in the direction of least resistance.