No sound from speakers

Hi, I recently moved house and left my old speakers behind. I kept my turntable (a pioneer PL-120-II) and amp (and old Cyrus Integrated Stereo Amplifier) which I had used together for a number of years and had worked perfectly fine. A friend of mine gave me some speakers to use which are Tannoy mercury mx3. I have connected everything up and, in theory it should work fine. However, the speakers won't produce any sound. After messing around with the settings a little I managed to get very faint and poor quality sound from the top parts of one speaker but no luck otherwise. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on what may be wrong? It seems unlikely that anything has broken since I very carefully transported it all.
eveboo221
Is turntable connected to phono input? Is ‘listen’ selector in phono position? If turntable is connected to anything other than phono on the back, you will only get a faint sound.
Surely there should be faint sounds coming from *both* speakers. That’s the detail that I don’t get.  Perhaps you actually have two problems.
Do you have the original jumper plates or other jumper cables with the speaker terminals? Perhaps your friend was bi-wiring the speakers and removed the jumper plates from the terminals?
Could be the turntable or the Amp, can you use a different source like a DVD/CD player for testing?

As pratorious suggested, make sure the jumper plates are in place.

https://a0.amlimg.com/ZGJkN2VmYjg2NzgwZjc4ZTUyN2I5Yzc4ZDIyOGM0ODTs4LU7b_5_s6K_vT2VXkZqaHR0cDovL2Itc3...