Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Rodrigues:

Audio could use more people like him. Loved his cartoons. I think I have boxes of Stereo Review and Audio in the garage. I used them to keep me grounded when I was buying stereo gear. Along with Peter Aczel.

Cheers

For anyone interested in facts about Curtis Academy instead of.... well, I’ll let others decide for themselves what to call it.

I work regularly with members of the faculty at Curtis who are players in the Philadelphia Orchestra and who are friends. I know the culture and history of Curtis very well and I can tell you that is is decidedly not a “hoity toity” institution. Very open minded and diverse; befitting an open minded and diverse town like Philadelphia.

Not a fact, but an opinion based on what I know about the institution, its history and what I hear in Nina Simone’s piano playing: As I have said previously, she was a great artist with a certain style. Why was she not admitted to Curtis? I put my money on the simple fact that she couldn’t compete at the extraordinarily high level of the other Classical music pianists seeking admission at the time. It is an incredibly high bar. The below may help put things in perspective:

From collegefactual.com, an organization that ranks colleges according to various criteria:

***** Overall Diversity is Great

We combine elements of ethnic, geographic, gender and age diversity to create a total diversity ranking for every school.

Curtis Institute of Music is thought to be very diverse across all factors ****

———————————————-

From Curtis’ mission statement:

**** ADMISSIONS
The Curtis Institute of Music highly values a diverse international student body. Since 1924, Curtis has welcomed all applicants regardless of race, geographic origin, religious background, socio-economic level, gender, or sexual orientation.

Admissions are based on artistic promise alone. Enrollment is limited to the number of musicians needed for a symphony orchestra, opera department, and select programs in piano, composition, conducting, organ, and guitar, as well as community artist fellows and a string quartet in residence. Curtis provides full-tuition scholarships to all of its students. ****

*****The Curtis Institute of Music highly values a diverse international student body. Since 1924, Curtis has welcomed all applicants regardless of race, geographic origin, religious background, socio-economic level, gender, or sexual orientation******

As pertains to 1924,  this is a blatant lie!   This statement would not be true OF ANY institution in this country in 1924.

Cheers

If fact, you should be ashamed of yourself.   How could you possibly know what barriers Nina Simone, or any one else, faced in their life.

Cheers