REL Strata III - faint crackle/pop sounds

I've been very happy with my REL Strata III for many years. However, I recently started hearing a faint crackle/pop sound coming from it whenever it is powered on.

Any ideas for what I can try to do to diagnose the problem? Any recommended repair places? I can try Sumiko (USA distributor) but I would prefer a recommendation from folks on this forum before I send it to them.

Thanks in advance!
theasianmenace
Well, that's what I'm worried about. If I go through Sumiko or one of their dealers, it might end up costing more than I paid for the sub in the first place.

Anyone know of places here in Northern California where I might be able to take the sub to be diagnosed and repaired? I'm sure there have to be skilled, reputable places out there...

Thanks!
the popping sound may be just the turning on of the rocker switch but I doubt very much if the crackle is. You could turn off the unit and plug it into a multi outlet strip then turn on the strip and see.
I have several RELS, and they make noise turning on. I don't think I would describe it as a crackle. A thumpycrackly sort of noise... My STrata rocker switch light has been flickering for years... Come to think of it, these make a bit of noise shutting down as well. So, how does the thing sound when playing music? See where I'm going with this?
My unit has always made a pop/hum sound when first powering on, but the issue I'm having is after the unit has been switched on. There's a faint crackle sound, kind of like what an old, dusty record sounds like.

Frankly, I haven't tried to play much through it since I've started hearing the crackling sound - I don't want to aggravate any issue the unit might already be having. And plus, since I've heard the crackling, I know that's the only thing I would hear anyway.

My Strata switch light burned out a long time ago. =)