Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
If I was running the world I'd turn the clock back a bit and have Kissin playSchubert's Fantasia in F mi.D.940 with Perahia and then Lupu just to see
if there is anything beyond perfection .

@schubert 

I would love to hear Kissin and Perahia get together even now. At one of the Proms this year Barenboim had Argerich on with him and at the end the two of them did a bit of Schubert and it brought the house down. I see there is a recording of the two of them doing a live recording together, I must seek that one out.

FWIW, the most loved piano LP I have left is the Great Ivan Moravec playing the Mozart 25th Concerto with what has always has been a top Mozartian Orchestra , the Czech Philharmonic.In many places the piano and the orchestra sound like one
and that instrument , to my ears, is a great soprano at her peak .
My copy is a Vanguard-Supraphone SU-11 , I just bought the last LP on Amazon , not for me but for gifting to someone who loves LP’s .
Amazon has many streams of this to include the original Supraphone .There was one CD of it on A-zon but at 2200 $$ , I dinnae check that out . Of course on Amazon there could be another LP tomorrow .
Post removed