The sense of smell evokes memories, while the sense of hearing evokes emotions

MrD, you touched upon this in your recent post.
I thought it was a subject worth discussing here.
Music can move us through emotional connection, it is well known.
A question for all of you.
Does playing your music on your system increase emotional connection more than playing it through a less HiFi system? 
One aspect of audio equipment marketing is for it's technical ability to bring us closer to the music by "getting out of the way" disappearing as some reviewers say. Suppose there was a speaker or amp that excelled in providing emotional connection, but measured poorly. Would you be willing to disregard the measurements and just go with your ears or  your heart and soul? I believe that SET / horns systems are an example of this. This is not about promoting SET / horns, but just brought up as an example that some people may have already reached this conclusion. Just my thoughts, I welcome civilized and rational comments. I am open to those with a deeper understanding of this subject.
Dennis

capstan
djones51 No, you did not misunderstand. I did say that. 
I suspect that there is something going on beyond perception using the sense of hearing. That might provable through the second application that I mentioned.
It might be verified by increased rate of germination of seeds. Certain music, (classical music mostly) has been scientifically proven to increase the rate of seed germination in real clinical research. The first application is for us audiophiles to enjoy as the result is lower distortion and deeper soundstage through hearing. As I said this is uncharted territory and even I have trouble believing it's possible.  That's why I'm reaching out to other audiophiles. I would like to prove it one way or another.
Then I could move on with my life if it's all a figment of my imagination.
But I just can't let it go until then.
Dennis
Dennis, great thread. Your question has been answered, as far as I can tell. The greater level of detail and information from our recordings, obtained by us with our higher end systems, seems to me unanimous in that we are more emotionally involved during these times of listening. I think the idea, presented by bdp23, that because of this elevated level, gives us intellectual cues to the music, which enhances the emotional levels. As I mentioned in my post, I take at least an hour each day to experience this, sitting in front of my system, without any other, well, distractions, if you will. Everyone responding on your thread, no doubt, are music listeners 1st, and equipment listeners, 2nd. This is how I perceive what has been said. By all means, email me through Audiogon, and we will take it from there. My best to you all, Enjoy ! MrD. 
Many years ago, when I was in the business, myself and some others, were invited by a manufacturer for a demonstration ( I was involved in many, but this one was different ). Placed below the listening chairs, were these " speakers " that created bass excitation below our buts. Tactile Transducer Bass Shaker is what it was called. The design was more specific to home theater, but we also listened to some music, as we were all asked to bring along a few of our favorite recordings. Admittedly, I enjoyed what it did for movie soundtracks, but did not care for it for music, however there were a few who liked the effect for music. I felt it was completely out of place, a lack of coherence, a separate entity to the entire performance, a complete disconnect. The outcome of this was, and still is, a very popular addition to home theater installation, and has founds it's way into gaming ( I have been in vehicles that have it, and I like it in vehicles ). Just a further thought on audio enhancement. Enjoy ! MrD.
Has anyone considered bringing back Smell-o-Rama for audiophiles? Hmmmm.....🤔
One other point to be made is that for music that includes lyrics, their higher intelligibility (afforded by higher quality recording and reproduction), and the beauty of a voice actually containing beauty (not all do, nor are intended to) captured in a well-recorded voice and reproduced by quality equipment, CAN have a huge effect on my emotional response to them (lyrics) and it (voice). The subtle inflections in a singers voice, and even the lyric’s meaning in extreme cases, can be obscured by low quality rec and rep. On the other hand, some singers use electronic distortion to intentionally change the sound of their voices, with artistic intent. I’m looking at you, Tom Waits ;-) .