Anyone Remember the B&W DM3000s?

Although, I had had a few other before them, the first "real" hi-end speaker I owned were the DM3000s purchased in about 1985 for $1800 during a big sale at SF Stereo...

I often wonder if they were really as good as I remember...and I do remember them being fantastic! Hearing lots of new informations, slamming bass and wonderful midrange...

I wonder where they would lay in the B&W scheme of things today...? Or speakers in general...

Do you have a speaker that you think of often...like that old girlfriend or SO that you had so much fun with but didn't want to bring home to meet Mom????

Thoughts?
jb8312
"Now I'm in the market for something new and different, and I am sure there are many speakers on the market that will crush those good old B&W's."

I don't know if "crush" is the right word. The S800's are better, but they do not "crush" the DM3000's. Then again, many say that the Diamond series "crushes" the nautilus series B&W's, so many consider slight differences as crushing. I heard the B&W 300 series speakers. The higher end stuff does crush those, but we are talking major differences.

Whatever you buy, hang on to the DM3000's.
I too have a lost love tale for the DM-3000's. They were my first high end speaker. I bought a couple different "Box Store" speakers while a teenager and college student. My first room mate after college had a great system from a high end dealer, so I began stopping into Almas HiFi in Dearborn in the mid-80's looking, listening, and learning. After I married a few years later, I stopped in, and they had a used pair of DM3000's at the front of the store. They sounded GREAT, and looked better imho. I bought them on the spot for $1200, and hooked them upto a Sony receiver I had purchased a few years back. Sounded good, but lead to my constantly changing system. When you think about WAF - I will always remember the day I brought them home. She cried. They are so big and UGLY she shreiked. I loved them, glass top and all (Good for safe beer keeping during a party! I eventually went the HomeTheater route, and bought one of the first HTM-1 center speakers from B&K. I drove them with an Onkyo 919 receiver in DPL mode. I built a new home, and put in ceiling rear speakers to complete the 5-channel system. My wife HATED the big speakers in the middle of HER living room, so we negotiated. I gave up audio upstairs, and promised to keep the speakers in the basement, if she allowed me to build a theater. A real WIN-WIN. I later sold them, and have made the evolution through a number of NHT speakers.

Still a soft spot in my heart for those B&W's.

jeff in Detroit
I bought a pair of DM3000's in 1985. I still have them connected to a McCormack DNA 225, a Carey Audio Design SLP-98, and all Acoustic Zen interconnects and power cables, with a PS audio power conditioner.

Sounds great. I've listened to the new B&W 703's, 704's, and 803's and I think the DM3000's sound better. It's more balanced. The high's are not so sharp, the midrange is fuller, and the bass is deeper and tighter. But that's my opinion.