BEST FEMALE VOCAL EVER

HELLO TO ALL...

I've started a BEST MALE VOCAL seperately - if you want to contribute to that, please go that discussion...

I personally think the BEST FEMALE is so much harder than the Best Male, and I already have so many names in mind that I thought I'd wait and see others suggestions.

SO PLEASE OFFER YOU HUMBLE OPINION - BUT PLEASE, offer only one.

THANKS to all who cotribute...
justvintagestuff
The first song I think of is Tracy Nelson singing "Down So Low". Linda Ronstadt covered the song, but to me it didn’t have the power of the original.

Another great female singer is Joan Osbourne. Soul, R&B, blues. She’s great with all of them. So much shading in her singing. Can’t get enough of her.

Btw, I'm a big fan of Eva Cassidy. She had an amazing voice.
It used to be Karen Carpenter. Now, it's Alison Krauss. Alison's voice comes across sweet, clean and clear on "Now That I've Found You" and "I Can Let Go Now". Also, listen to "It Doesn't Matter". Her voice keeps me spellbound!
I love Eva Cassidy!!! Don't sell Linda Ronstadt short. The "What's New" album recorded with the Nelson Riddle Orchestra is amazing!!!
Why is there no discussion on recording quality?  How do you really know these "older" recording stars were really that good when the recording techniques and abilities limited how well the music sounds?  McIntosh and Martin Logan equipment can only filter and enrich, so much...

Considering all that, Laura Wright is the best vocalist for me!