PS Audio Stellar Gain DAC/Pre-amp as first foray into separate pre-amp?

Well, I've been researching and considering various pre-amps with home theater bypass, but just came across this much more affordable PS Audio Stellar Gain DAC/pre-amp.  The idea is to get something for two channel audio that has home theater bypass, so as to be able to continue to use my Denon AVR for movies and multi-channel SACD and DVD-Audio.  But I want to improve the CD and flac playback I'm now getting out of the AVR.  I would also want to get better two channel SACD audio quality than I get through the AVR over HDMI, but it seems that I would have to purchase a proprietary PS Audio SACD player that has the I2S connector to make that happen. 

The plan would be to connect my universal player via optical or coaxial digital to the Stellar Gain DAC, instead of my current signal path of the Oppo into the AVR via HDMI.  I would also connect my turntable(high output MC cartridge) to the Stellar Gain unit.  I could also connect the optical digital output from my 4K TV to the Stellar gain.  The Stellar Gain unit would be connected to my Krell FPB 400cx power amp via XLR cables(I'm not sure if this would be a good output impedance match). 

The Stellar Gain DAC/pre-amp seems very reasonably priced, at $1,700, for its capabilities and for the sound quality indicated by professional reviews.  Plus, near mint used units are available for ~$1,200.  Thoughts? 
mtrot
Yeah, I figured that might be the case, but at least they do show up at audio shows and put their cables on the line for people to hear.  I'll give them a try, at least.

I just got my new PS Audio Stellar gain set up and installed the Silnote Morpheus Reference Classic XLR cables. So far, I've only listened to it in Home Theater bypass mode, but I will say, in that scenario, I feel like I've lost a bit of clarity in the highs. I'm not sure if that might be the result of the Stellar Gain softening the highs, or the result of now involving two sets of analog interconnects in my chain.

I was previously using my Denon AVR as a pre-pro, so the Denon was connected directly to the Krell power amp. Now, there is one set of interconnects from the Denon to the Stellar Gain, and then the Silnote XLRs run to the Krell. I still need to listen to just the Stellar Gain playing into the Krell before making any strong judgements on the Silnote cables.

If it is a brand new unit, I would burn it in for at least 200 hours before making a judgement.  That being said, it is possible that you may be getting a slightly softer sound because it is going through another set of interconnects and the PS Audio does have a Class A audio stage.  If you have gold-plated RCA connectors between the Denon and the Steller Gain,  they can be softening the highs as well.  If the Silnote cables are new, they will need to be burned in as well.
@ auxinput
Thanks.  It is a brand new unit.  My signal is going through an additional set of interconnects, as I indicated. 

The interconnect cables between the Denon and the Stellar Gain is High Fidelity CT-1.  But I've already been using them for years now, so there should be no difference there. It's just that they were connected directly to the power amp.  Any softening of the highs would have to be either in the Stellar Gain or in the Silnote XLR cables.
As to the Silnote cables, Silnote burned them in on their machine from last Friday until Monday.  Or, at least they said they did and held up shipping them during that time.