detailed vs. warm DAC - which do I prefer?

My first post on GON... I recently purchased a PS Audio DirectStream DAC and when I do an A/B comparison with my old NAD C542 cd player (Burr-Brown Sigma Delta DAC), I prefer the cd player every time.  The DSD just sounds too laid-back and muted for my taste with a less-defined soundstage.  In all fairness to PS Audio, I've only had the DSD for a couple of weeks so it's nowhere near to being broken in.  My question to the group is what, if anything, does this say about my preference in DACs?   I live in the sticks, so I don't have the luxury of listening to demos at a dealer or in my own system.  If I do seek out a replacement for the DSD, should I consider a more "detailed" or "warm" DAC?  I honestly don't know what I prefer.  My budget is $7K and I'm considering the mytek manhattan II, bryston, luxman, and exogal.  Surely there's a DAC in this price range that will sound better than spinning discs in my old cd player.  Or maybe I've grown so accustomed to the digital redbook sound that I haven't learned to appreciate the more analog sounding DSD and it might grow on me after break-in.
sandusky