Flaws in this chain?

New to streaming and such. Is there a serious weak link in this chain?:

MacBook Pro with Tidal (hi res)------wireless to-----Apple TV-----toslink to-----Schiit Modi 2 Uber-----RCA cable to----Line stage.

I know that the Schiit is no great shakes in terms of a DAC but is there any other serious limitation in the chain? Thanks.

George
n80
Thanks wtf. It really sounds like ATV is dismal on all counts for this process and I appreciate all the advice I’ve gotten in this thread. Fortunately the only money I’ve spent so far is for the mid-grade Toslink cable.

With all this info in mind it is time to step back and reassess.

At this point I will not renew my Tidal HiFi account since as you mention it would be pointless.

For now I will continue to use this set-up to research music (find what I like and then purchase CD/vinyl) via Apple Music and Amazon ( I’m using the trial periods).

Once I decide to take the plunge into hi-res streaming I’ll re-visit my hardware needs.

Thanks again.

Edit: What are the downsides to the Chromecast?
Okay, just now spent some time researching music via iTunes via ATV. SQ stinks. Even I can hear it. The only way I can describe it is muddy.

So it isn’t even all that great for previewing music. Doing the same thing without ATV (MacBook to DAC via USB) sounds much better...even iTunes.

Will look into Chromecast. Nothing to lose really.

I guess my point is why spend even $150 to correct (purify, decrapify) the signal from a $100 Apple TV? Seems like I should save my money until I can come up with a better wireless solution....whatever that would be and however much that would cost.

You will end up playing for $1000 de-jitter for your $1000 device or $150 for your $100 device.  They all need it.

Okay, just now spent some time researching music via iTunes via ATV. SQ stinks. Even I can hear it. The only way I can describe it is muddy.

No surprise.  iTunes stinks and the jitter from the 24/48 ATV is high.  What you need to understand is that it's okay to have a cheap digital source like ATV or Sonos, as long as you put the money into reducing the jitter from it.  It's only is only providing the data.  It's the de-jitter device that makes the sound quality great.  I can use a really cheap old transport for playing CD's, but adding the Synchro-Mesh and  good digital coax cable makes it a world class source.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

Thanks. That helps me understand what I'm up against.

But here's a question....why don't device makers, at least high end device makers, include some method for decreasing jitter in the device itself?

And as for the Chromecast. Still 'jittery' but less so than the ATV?
But here's a question....why don't device makers, at least high end device makers, include some method for decreasing jitter in the device itself?
Most do in fact.

And as for the Chromecast. Still 'jittery' but less so than the ATV?
Actually, its jitter measurements are rather poor. That being said, the CA sends an unmolested digital stream (via optical) to your DAC, which should clean it up rather nicely. Same with the ATV except the ATV sends a re-sampled (molested) stream to the DAC .. not good.

Re-clockers like the SPDIF iPurifier can do wonders for jittery streams feeding DACs with less-than-stellar jitter reduction, but not so much feeding higher-end DACs which have been engineered to do so.

The Chromecast Audio is by no means perfect, just damn good for $35. A couple of things about using the CA with Tidal on Apple:

1. I don't believe cast is enabled on the Tidal Desktop App yet, leaving you with either Tidal's iOS app or the web player.
  2. Safari isn't supported for Tidal casting so you must use Google's Chrome browser if you go this route. Works great.
  3. Casting from an iPhone/iPad is quite nice if you have one.
FWIW, IMHO, etc., etc., I would purchase the Chromecast Audio and assess. Then if you feel improvement is needed/wanted try out a SPDIF iPurifier. If the iPurifier doesn't move you .. send it back.