BEST FEMALE VOCAL EVER

HELLO TO ALL...

I've started a BEST MALE VOCAL seperately - if you want to contribute to that, please go that discussion...

I personally think the BEST FEMALE is so much harder than the Best Male, and I already have so many names in mind that I thought I'd wait and see others suggestions.

SO PLEASE OFFER YOU HUMBLE OPINION - BUT PLEASE, offer only one.

THANKS to all who cotribute...
justvintagestuff
Justvintagestuff, how about one jazz, and one rock 'n roll singer.

Billie Holiday-Strange Fruit, and Darlene Love, a pure Rock n Roll singer if there ever was one. Check out her "White Christmas" from the Phil Spector Christmas album. Accept no substitutes.

And thank all of you for mentioning Eva Cassidy. I looked her up because I didn’t recognize her name. That’s got to be the wonderful woman who sang a completely original, heartfelt version of my favorite chestnut "Over the Rainbow" on NPR on my way home from work years ago. I could never remember her name and never heard her again. Soon as I googled her name that song popped up. Simply unforgettable voice and delivery. I’m going to be able to find her albums now at long last. Thanks so much. You’ve made my day.

Mike

Like to ad:

Liza Minelli - Cabaret. More power than the rest together.

Mirella Freni - La Bohéme (best male to Pavarotti). Classical but you
can´t oversee her just because of that...

Janis Joplin - for the rawness and feeling (Me and Bobby McGee)

Nina Simone - for the interpretetation (Mr. Bojangles)
Also assuming popular music (as opposed to classical) I am a sucker for the throaty (and sometimes quavery) voice of Stevie Nicks. May not have the range of so many great entries above but she is my pick for this forum.
I want to add to my previous post of only four words about Eva Cassidy.
She could sing in just about any style.
You couldn’t categorize her. 
That was one of the reasons I believe she did not make it big while she was alive.
Yet she was extraordinary in every style.
She had a seemingly limitless vocal range, and an emotional impact like an atomic bomb.