Aurender N10 - Sound quality performance is erratic

I am having problems with my N10. Some days it plays amazingly good, other days good and some days not good at all.

I live very near Aurender in SoCal and so I took my unit in for service and they provided me with a loaner. The first session after I put the loaner in the system was all-time good. Then the next day wasn't all that great. Then the next two days were good but no great. Anyway, this is just weird. Both N10s appear to exhibit this erratic behavior.

My internet is ATT DSL at 24Mbps and that has been suggested as the culprit (I was thinking about calling and asking them to give me a trial at 50 or 100 Mbps to see if the increased speed will eliminate the problem - 24Mbps is fast enough I almost never seen buffering in Netflix). It has been suggested that I get hi-speed cable to solve this problem and get rid of the twisted pairs on the phone line. I have tried a DSL filter and it hasn't seemed to help, assuming I've got it installed correctly.

So have any of you N10 users had this problem? If so, how did you fix it?
pokey77
@jdavis37 

2019 isn't all that far away! I know, it sounds long now since you don't have that new piece of gear, but it'll be here before you know it. I didn't try other servers in my system. I just tried the A10 and N10 and can tell you the N10 is very much worth the extra $$. I think the most important thing is that your new server synergize with your gear and really the only way to find that out is to put your choice in your system and listen to how it sounds. Hope you find just the right server.

Streaming is so fun; the only work is to go look up the next track or album. I'm really digging it. BTW, my CD collection is getting smaller and it feels good.

I'll keep the reboot procedure in mind; thanks for the tip.

"I am assuming it will work for a USB connected drive as well as using the internal drives?" -All the inputs are there so I'd say yes. I am using AES from DAC to N10. I also tried USB and felt AES was overall slightly better. Based on the text on the Aurender site, the two main drives do not appear to be SSD. I am unsure if you can replace them. You could try asking Aurender support. They are very helpful.

The Conductor app is quite easy to use. I found a few videos on YouTube that walk you through the features and that was a good use of 15-20 minutes.

Just finished another listening session and it was really very good. The N10 is an amazing source.

Thx Pokey. It will most assuredly work with the DAC I am buying (R2R, NOS, limited to S/PDIF or AES input). The N10 appears to be a really nice piece and if the well builtness, etc also translates into "hey it actually really does sound better" then it will be on my very short list. There just are not that many music players/servers/streamers focused on S/PDIF these days! USB only in the server would require another box to be bought and that really is not a desired thing. Given its price tag I will most likely look for a demo or very clean used one. My spousal unit is very understanding of my hobbies.. to a point! Thx for the feedback and keep enjoying your music!
@jdavis37 

I have not compared the N10 to other servers in the same price range. But as I mentioned above, I have compared it to the lower-priced a10 and there is clearly a reason that Aurender charges more for the N10. It was a big stretch for me but I'm glad I did it. The N10 plays well-recorded files with ease and files that are more average in recording quality just sounded fuller & clearer than the A10. It was a very hearable quality the N10 brings to the party. The N10 is 27 lbs, meaning there's a lot of iron in there. It can be that heavy because it uses a full-size chassis, where they can physically enclose more and better quality transformers giving a big boost to the sound quality of the larger chassis. Take a look at Google photos or the Aurender site to see the interior of each of the servers, they speak volumes. -I hope you get a chance to try the N10 out. And I'd welcome a discussion of any other servers you have the pleasure of comparing it to. As a side note, my source said that the W20, Aurenders reference server, it is only marginally better than the N10 when using a single AES connection. When the W20 uses a word clock and DAC that can handle the twin-wire connection, it is quite a bit better. But you are looking at a $40k front end. I've heard it in a different system and it was very good, but it is well beyond my budget. Cheers and good luck in your search.
@ pokey77

What dac  where you using when comparing the N10 to the A10?

I assume you where using both as Streamers and USB out for both?

did you compare the A10 vs N10 +Dac  ?

Just wondering. 
Thanks,
Russ
As those of you who have been following this thread know, I had been having erratic sound quality streaming Tidal. ATT came out last Monday morning and performed maintenance, replacing my modem/router, and returning everything to good working order. I was able to listen once on Mon/Tuesday, and twice yesterday and today for a total of six sessions and all my sessions have been very good. Apparently my modem/router was the most likely culprit according to my tech; the tech called back to check in on me today - good customer service on ATT's part. I do notice that my internet is faster now that the service has been performed and of course the most important part, the music is now correct. 

Aurender has provided very good service along the way including providing me a loaner N10 and repairing my N10.

My dealer, Mike Rose @ Excel Audio in Newport Beach, has also been exemplary in his customer service. He had pushed me to have my internet connection checked and it turned out to be culprit. He has been there in my journey and has been instrumental in helping me to build a system that I had only dreamed of prior to meeting him around a year ago. As a totally satisfied customer, I suggest if you are in the Southern California area, Mike is a top-notch dealer worthy of doing business with, not only because he carries some of the finest world-class audio components available, but because he is first-class in customer service. Mike is just like all of us, he loves the music. When you are around him you can't help but be happy, it is just infectious.