If you still spin CD's their is a reference level Transport for reasonable money

I just got in-house the Jay's Audio CDT-2 MK3 transport to review for hometheaterreview.com.  The build quality and physical appearance make it hard to believe that it retails for around $2,400.  Right out of the crate not even broken in yet, it's out performing my CEC double belt transport in the reference system.  It retains all the liquidity and analog smoothness of the belt driven transport but offers more details, tighter bass frequencies, and a larger layered soundstage with more air between the players.

Alvin, of Vinshine Audio set this review up with me, so if you go to his website you can get a lot more details/pictures on this transport.  The reason I was motivated to review a CD transport was I received scores of requests from my readers asking what is a great sounding transport, for a reasonable amount of money.  So far, in spades the Jay's Audio CDT-2 MK3 fits the bill easily.   
teajay
My Jay's Audio CDT2 Mk.2 arrived today (in South Africa) and went straight into my system all the way from Hong Kong and .... WOW!

I'm using the AES/EBU output into my iFi Pro iDSD set to Bit Perfect and Valve+ mode (Thorsten Loesch design) running balanced outputs to Accuphase pre-power and my massive PLLXO DIY open-baffle speakers.

Fluid, musical, but still has bite and the best bass depth and quality I've achieved so far. Sh#t, now I will have to upgrade my vinyl set-up again.

Even beer tastes better listening to the CDT2  ;)
@garrard

Congratulation on getting nice transport.

The beer made in South Africa must be good.

I stayed in South Africa for only 5 hours on transfer to DR Congo on 2005.

It was business trip.

I wish to have a chance to visit "Cape of Good Hope" someday.
My initial impressions of the CDT2 MK2 are presented below.

System: CDT2 MK2 transport, Theta Digital DS ProBasic IIIa DAC, Teo Audio Liquid Pre passive preamp, ATC SCM20-2A active monitors, 1.3M Oyaide DB-510 digital IC (Canare BNC-RCA adaptors on the digital cable’s BNC connectors to accommodate the RCA digital input of the DAC), 2ft and 6ft runs of custom HAVE Dual StarQuad parallel integrated audio IC’s per Shroeder Method (2ft run between DAC and Liquid Pre and 6ft run between Liquid Pre and ATC active monitors).

My first listening of the CDT2 included a switched set of audio IC’s running from the Liquid Pre to the ATC active monitors (originally done to isolate a spurious noise at one channel output). That led to my errant conclusion the CDT2 has reversed the channels on the CDT2’s RCA digital output. That error was rectified by reversing the analog output cables at the Liquid Pre.

The CDT2 replaces a CAL Delta transport. And the CDT2 transformed CD playback in so many ways. Soundstage presentation was more expansive in all dimensions. But what amazed was how much the soundstage leaped well in front of the speakers, resulting in their near disappearance from the sound field. The layers of musical complexity was resolved far better, with a much greater degree of both micro and macro dynamics coming forth. The background and inter-passage silence were more evident, immediate and blacker. The degree of quietness was unnerving at times, as if a layer of ever-present glare were removed from the background, leaving utter silence.

The CDT2 drove digital playback of my Theta DAC to incredible heights. It was as if the CDT2 transport literally granted permission to the Theta DAC to reveal all of its glorious potential. I can only hazard how much more improvement can be brought by an updated DAC. I suspect the CDT2’s extremely low jitter levels contributed to how well the Theta DAC negotiated the digital stream. But no matter. I’m tapping to the music at a much more involved level.

I have another digital IC to test in the context of a product from Mark Coles of Sablon Audio of the UK. Will report back when that IC is in the system.