Upgrade SACD/CD player from DCS Puccini to better DCS, Esoteric or EMM Labs?

I love the Puccini, but realize technology has moved on. I have thousands of SACDs and Redbook CDs, and many downloaded high resolution audio files.

I listened to a Vivaldi player-Rossini DAC combination at my friendly local dealer and it did not sound significantly better on Redbook CDs than the Puccini I currently own. However, there are many filters to play with on any DCS device to adjust sound...so I may not have given it a reasonable hearing.

I do not want to spend the money to buy the Vivaldi stack or Vivaldi One, although I could if need be. So, I am looking at slightly less expensive solutions like the Esoteric (P1, K01X, etc) and the newest EMM transport/DAC combinations. 

Any suggestions? I like analytical sound. My system currently includes McIntosh C22 tube preamp (newest version), ARC GS150 amplifier, and Wilson Audio Sasha 2 loudspeakers. The listening room is great, I have a great line conditioner and great cables.

Thank-you in advance for any advice - I do not have the ability to listen to all the high end (and now becoming archaic) SACD/CD/DAC combinations available for sale.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xgerryah930
I've never had tone control in any of my linestage stereo preamp. My current Naim Statement NAC S1 linestage analog stereo preamp does not have tone control either. All ARC linestage preamps do not have to control. Before using the ARC Ref 10 linestage preamp I was using the Dan D'Agostino Momentum linestage preamp which does not have tone control either. All high end preamps usually do not have tone control. Having tone control has to go through another circuitry and it degrades the signal purity. That's why all high end preamps including those exotic ones do not have tone controls. 

McIntosh makes good amps but their preamps are too syrupy warm masking musical details and nuances somewhat and color the sound and lacking musical presence and musical drive as well as rhythmic drive. ARC linestage analog preamps are way better than the McIntosh stereo preamps they aren't even in the same league. The ARC preamps are quite a bit more expensive than McIntosh preamps though especially the ARC Reference series preamps such as the ARC Ref 10 & Ref 6.
Rogue Audio P7 linestage preamp is better than any Mac preamps. 
anwar - I have often wondered about the Marantz SA-10 SACD player. I heard the PS Audio DirectStrem combination and they seemed fine, although slightly less resolution than the DCS Puccini. The Marantz, on paper, would seem to represent a good product, but I have not read any reviews, although it has been out for a while, and I have not listened to one.

bar81 - The D'Agistino Momentum preamplifier sounds great, and the cost is not a problem, but I am more of a tube person.

caphill - I agree with you about the McIntosh - but I did get a great deal on it, and it reminds me of my youth. About bass - an instrument I used to play - my listening room is mostly underground or surrounded by 4 ft thick stone walls. Bass is a problem, and after reading Floyd Toole's book (2017) - "Sound Reproduction: The Acoustics and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms (Audio Engineering Society Presents)", I realized the room was not properly reproducing very low frequencies (<40 HZ), a range I can still hear in my dotage. I could have inserted an equalizer into the loop, but I actually like the dulcet sound of the McIntosh preamp, which I can bypass if need be, depending on the music.

I may have found a solution to my search....more to follow...
Do you have the clock?  Maybe you just need to optimize the Puccini to get what you are looking for.  The clock makes a big difference IMO.