Does the Quality of the USB cable matter?

I have a Squeezebox Touch connected to my Laptop via a 50 ethernet cable.
Also connected to my laptop is an external 1TB hardrive that my music is stored on via a 5 meter USB cable.

With this set up, does the quality of the USB Cable matter ?
128x128ozzy
Hey Ozzy have you seen that PS Audio has new firmware for their Directstream DAC called Snowmass . If you haven't already got it I urge you to get it as it brings the player to another level. I find that the levels of detail have improved and a definite improvement in the bass in fact so much that a download that I love is now giving me levels of detail that can be most annoying. I have played this file and never once noticed a very noisy pedal on the piano in fact that is what my ear goes straight to all the time. The new firmware also makes the whole sound seem a wee bit warmer than usual but in a really good way so for someone who hasn't got valves it can warm up your system.
Ozzy,

For your current setup, yes, the USB cable does matter. This is because you're directly connecting your source device (Bryston BDP-2) to the processing device (PS Audio Direct Stream DAC). As mentioned in my previous message, there is no error correction of the signal transmitted via the USB cable for that usage scenario.

Because of the error checking/correction functionality of the USB mass storage protocol, it doesn't matter what USB cable you use to connect your external storage drive to your laptop. It only matters in the scenario above.

This is an excellent article for understanding why USB cables make a difference when used for audio purposes directly between source and processing equipment:

https://positive-feedback.com/audio-discourse/why-usb-cables-can-make-a-difference/
jim204,

Yes, I posted a message about the new PS "Snowmass" firmware upgrade in the Digital section. In short, it is a very awesome upgrade.

jeenam,

Thanks for info.