Herron VTPH-2A Phono Preamp....anyone familiar?

Hi just reaching out to get any input/feedback  on the Herron VTPH-2A Phono Preamp.   While I'm happy with my existing Parasound JC3 Jr., someone recommended the Herron, so I got intrigued, as I've never run into, nor listened to, any Herron products.  
Thks, Jim

jhajeski
I listen to jazz and classical, but also a bit of rock from time to time. There is absolutely no lack of of anything on the VTPH-2 (or 2a) for any kind of music. It has plenty of PRaT, musicality, bite and is the best presentation of all kinds of music that I have experienced with any phonostage on my system. It is certainly genre-neutral as far as I can tell.
I’ve had a brand new VTPH-2A for a few weeks now. It’s done a brilliant job in my SOTA/Stax setup, handily dispatching my Rogue Ares Magnum (filled with exotic NOS tubes); I feel that the performance gain with the Herron well exceeds its $800 MSRP price premium. Very happy with this phono stage!

I also run a rather pricey VAC Renaissance SE phono stage in my main rig. I wouldn’t have dropped that kind of coin (more then 3x the Herron) if I wasn’t completely blown away by it (I auditioned the non-SE base Renaissance in my system before purchase, a year ago). I tried the Herron in that rig, thinking perhaps it could match the VAC - but no not quite there yet; the VAC still has some extra magic. I’m going to let the Herron burn in some more, then try the VAC match-up again with some additional experimentation of SUT’s, etc. If it can match or even exceed the VAC in the end, I'd have no problem buying a 2nd unit. But I'm already exceedingly happy with the 2 setups I've got now. 
I have had my VTPH 2 ( now upgraded to 2A) for a few years now.   It  does not seem to be better for any particular type of music in my experience. I listen to jazz, rock, pop, Acoustic, and world music. It excels with every type of music I play. It’s truly a pleasure to listen to.  It presents the music very organically, and is very involving. Plenty of detail without being overly analytical and a very natural tone.  And, Keith Herron provides the best customer service I have ever experienced. 
Yes I forgot to mention I listen to a range of music, but especially a lot of heavy metal! The Herron is certainly an all-genre musical instrument. And yes, A++ on dealing with Keith. Call him up if you’re in this price range for a Phono stage!
This talk makes me worry about buying this phono?

I have read so many good things, too many good things honestly but nothing is perfect.

One person didn't like it that much for his taste and now it must be or could be something else in his system like his speakers or preamp because it could not be this preamp?.

Maybe he just doesn't like it as much as something else to his ears regardless of system matching. That makes perfect sense to me for any audio product. He likes a different sounding leading edge or transients for his taste. I love to hear that. Means its a real product not just a fanboy based niche product like Merlin speakers. 

I have read this type of universal love for Merlin speakers with the rabbit loyal following and I bought a pair and wasn't overly impressed. I was like what was all that I read. Nice solid speaker for sure and better then average and in some way really good but man reading about them over and over you think they are the greatest ever in the history of the world. This phono has been giving me that vibe! 

Trust me I am not bad mouthing this product this is more in general and not saying this pre is like Merlin speakers either but when anything can do no wrong that makes me nervous. Especially when I am very seriously considering buying one. A seller reached out to me tonight.

Some people like the dry, analytical sound of some SS preamps for the super high detail and impact and super precise image so why would they love a great tube pre? 

Unless this pre does that also just like a dry, etched SS preamp with low end slam that many people love? Maybe it is the perfect phono that will adapt to any system and know the person's likes and become a chameleon? If that is the case I would pay dearly for that...  

This is not a shot anyone that owns and loves these and has written about them. I appreciate that but man this is the highest rated owner spoken about phono product anywhere by anyone.

We don't all get to try them in our system before we buy and we all know that is best to do. We look out there for people's thought and feedback and try to make the best informed decision we can with the resources available to us at the time. I guess its better than negative feedback but not sure how objective any of it is other than it has to be one dam good phonostage.