Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
 mary_jo and nsp, in answer to your question, the feeling that the text invoked is not unlike the feeling that I often experience when I listen to Bill Evans play.

**** a story about a man afflicted by one of those personal tragedies born of extreme shyness ****

**** he having disguised even his voice, and since he didn’t take careful note of whoever had listened to him, he could enjoy the ample sensation of knowing that somewhere in the world there was someone who knew him ****

Bill Evans is one of my favorite jazz pianists.  If forced to choose only one as my favorite, he would probably be the one.  His playing has always given me a sense of introspection, even shyness.  The tone he produced on a piano was gentle and round without much percussive quality.   At the risk of being politically incorrect, there was something very femenine about the attitude in his playing.  I saw him live at the Village Vanguard about half a dozen times back in the late 70’s.  He would walk unto the band stand without saying a word to either the audience or band mates.  The aura he projected was one of someone who had something heavy on his mind; never even a hint of a smile.  He would sit at the piano hunched over with his head almost touching the keyboard.  The music was glorious.  Great introspection and sense of tenderness in his playing.  I hope that clarifies my comment.
Schubert, great to see you posting clips.  Kurt Elling is probably the greatest male jazz vocalist today.  Thanks for the clip as well the Stitt.  Great stuff!
Thanks frogman .
I've heard Elling live twice at the "Dakota" in Minneapolis .What really was noticeable was how much the musicians loved
to play with him , just another instrumentalist .