Which band IS really America's Greatest (rock & roll band)?

When I consider my priorities for this category, I cannot come up with any other than CCR.

Their output as a band was short compared to others, yes..

When I say America's greatest rock & roll band, this = the output or even the basis on which a band formed, had in their DNA, America's roots! It doesn't even matter that we now know CCR formed in California, their DNA as a band transformed their birthplace but it more importantly brought forth the (soul) of get down and dirty) Rock & Roll in it's raw form!

HELL YEAH!
128x128slaw
The Doors are easily the best band from America for me, followed by the Velvets. 
Every album was different and brought something new.

50 years later the music remains timeless. Both bands seemed destined to self explode, but whilst they lasted that was the only predictable thing about them. 
I have an extensive vinyl collection. I got my first stereo system when I was in college. Money was tight but almost every weekend I purchased a new album to add to my collection.  I still have those albums and listen to them--they bring back the greatest memories. Some of my favs are Hendrix, Joplin, CCR, Aerosmith, Eagles, Allman Bros, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Zappa, The Stones, The Grateful Dead, Marvin Gaye, Boz Scaggs...I could just say I have a love for all things (music)  70s.
New to this thread but on the first page alone there were a few purely UK bands mentioned.

Makes you wonder...…

The best can be judged my many different variables.

I would say that there is no "best American rock band" What is boils down to is what an individual likes. I think a favorite American rock band thread would be more accurate.
Aerosmith is my favorite. I am a millennial but I grew up listening to it thanks to my grandpa.