Ownership and Review of a pair of Ohm Super Sound Cylinder

Greetings all - I recently ordered a pair of Ohm Super Sound Cylinder speakers, or SSC-4900's. They are in the middle of the Ohm Walsh lineup, and are about 38 inches tall and the cylinder cabinets about 12.5 inches in diameter.

Specs are listed at 88 dB for a 2.8 V input, and a response curve of +/- 3 dB from 25 to 20,000 Hz. 

This whole process is part of a "high end, high value, USA made two channel system" thread I started a couple of months ago on another forum. The electronics are the PS Audio Stellar Gain Pre-amp/DAC and a pair of PS Audio M700 mono amps.

The PS Audio equipment has already elevated the Axiom M100's and Martin Logan Electro Motion ESL speakers in terms of performance. The Axioms have a "twin" available in Brick and Mortar outlets from Bryston called the A1's. 

For reference, other speakers which we have or still have in house include: Klipsch LaScala II's, Legacy Signature SE's, Infinity IRS Sigmas, Ascend Sierras, PSB Strata Goldi, VMPS Super Towers and a host of other speakers. 

The Ohm Walsh speakers have been something about which I have read since 1977 (the year I got the audio bug), but have never had the chance to experience. The SSC-4900's sell for $4900 per pair, though the name and pricing are coincidental. The "4900" is due to the idea that the speakers are "almost a 5000", but with less controls - one switch vs. 4 for the 5000, but also a lower price.

John Strohbeen, who is he president at Ohm and who has been with them for almost 40 years, was gracious enough to spend an hour talking on the phone about our room, the associated gear, and also that there would be a review thread. It was after this discussion that we decided on the SSC-4900's. 

I am purchasing the speakers, not getting a review pair. They are under the 120 day return policy. John is well aware that my daughter sings opera, my son is adept at classical guitar, and that live music is the reference. He was actually quite pleased about this. 

This will be fun (at least for me), and hopefully informative. Comments are welcome. 

I honestly have no idea what to expect from the Walsh sound. They are so different from other speaker designs that the only thing to do is set them up properly and hear what happens! 
craigsub
Roysq … We are getting close to doing a formal write up on the SSC-4900's. Unfortunately, I don't know of a way to post pictures into this forum. Does anyone know how?

You can look for a formal write up over the Thanksgiving Holiday, when I finally have some time. I bought a "distressed" Chrysler-Jeep-Dodge-Ram dealership in October, 2017, and this summer was a lot more work than I anticipated. 

For now, I can say I absolutely LOVE these speakers. Every chance I get to try new music, I do. And what they do with old rock favorites like Pink Floyd and Supertramp is astonishing. Deep, tight bass. A soundstage that is MASSIVE. The clarity of vocals is world class. 

They are more power hungry than the Legacy Signature SE's or Axiom M100's, but the PS Audio M700's are more than enough - and for under $10,000 for the total system, the PS Audio Pre, M700's and Ohm's are fantastic. 
Polarin, nice on the Duevel Planets. I bought Venus back in
June and they have been really enjoyable. Very similar to Ohms in many ways, but have to give the nod to the Venus overall, probably why I ended up with them. The Ohms too are certainly very enjoyable speakers too.
Circa 1989 I was living in NYC doing my medical residency. I didn't own a stereo system and never desired to - reproduced music didn't do it for me. I was an amateur musician playing dozens of concerts every year since high school all through college and med school with various symphony orchestras, chamber ensembles and wind bands - I was always saturated with live acoustic music.

A musician friend invited me to his home to listen to some vinyl on his Vandie CEs driven by Manley tubes:  I was hooked!  I didn't know reproduced music could sound that real. I spent the next few weeks visiting various stereo salons around Manhattan listening to monitors, floor standers, electrostats and planars. None of them really grabbed me: they all sounded like boxes and gadgets making sounds - I didn't hear the live acoustic my ears were accustomed to. I recall that in the sweet spot the Vandies came close - in the sweet spot. Also the B&W 801 were very nice - but not in my budget nor WAF. There was a Newmark & Lewis across the street from my apartment on Park Ave IIRC midtown so I meandered in one day and asked the kid to play some loudspeakers. No magic occurred. Then I spotted these cyclindrical loudspeakers - hmm - intrigued I asked the kid what they were. He said they're Ohms (pro-200 sound cyclinders). He turned them on and whamo; I heard that live airy acoustic that I was immersed in daily at rehearsals. The speakers disappeared and the music just floated above and behind them - effortless, detailed yet natural, just lovely.

I bought those cylinders and boy oh boy did I did I go to town building a library of recordings to play on them. I was driving them with a first generation Sony CD player (oh Lord did it sound bad on certain classical recordings) or turn table and a JC Penny receiver. I loved my sound cyclinders. I proceeded to read Absolute Sound and learned about the Walsh 5's - they became my dream loudspeaker. When we moved to LINY in 1990 I got the big house and nice size den. Two years later I spotted an ad - someone in Florida selling a used pair of Walsh 5's for $2400. Bam- I called the guy, made the deal and sent the check. Two weeks later they arrive - in cardboard boxes badly damaged by UPS ( the idiot delegated the job of shipping to his wife who packed the Walshs in boxes filled with just styrofoam peanuts!  UPS (pronounced OOPS) finished the job all but destroying my beloved Walshs). One can was partly collapsed. One cabinet corner was pulverized. Damage everywhere. I was upset but I had to hear them! I propped one speaker on some books, checked the speaker terminals with an ohm meter, then hooked them up to my Rotels. Wow - they sounded amazing. Just beautiiful - a big wide deep airy soundstage and a bottom octave I had never heard before. You know I listened to them, beaten and bruised they were, for days and debated whether to get them repaired because I didn't want to live without them! 

Eventually, I called Ohm and told John my tale of woe and he chuckled, unsurprised by the UPS gorillas. He assured me that he could make them right - and so he did! I drove those babies to the factory in Brooklyn myself and John was so gracious to me - he gave me a tour of the factory and I had a wonderful day surrounded by parts and gadgets and speakers. Long story short I eventually got my Walsh 5s back, all fixed up and pretty and was thrilled with them for years. I eventually upgrade to the Walsh 5 Series 3 (improvement!) and circa 2011 the Walsh 5000s (big improvement) and I am listening to these amazing loudspeakers playing a Haydn organ concerto as I type this long winded response. These speakers make music. I listen to them at least 3 hours per day as I am retired from my practice - life is good.

The thing about John - you can tell that loves building speakers. And he has a amazingly analytic ear - he can listen to a loudspeaker and describe it's frequency response, power response and damping/alignment without needing a measuring device. It has been said that Tchaikovsky and Schubert were incapable of composing a tune that wasn't beautiful and memorable. I think John has that gift vis-a-vis voicing a loudspeaker. Not only do his loudspeakers always sound musical - they are also rock solid reliable. I have never had an issue with the Walshs I've owned - and I drive them hard sometimes. Lately though, I'm thinking about buying a backup pair of head units for the Walsh 5000s, just in case! I could not go a day without listening to them make fine music

To the OP - you have made a wise choice in loudspeaker with the Ohms.
Mamboni - Thank you for one of the BEST posts I have read on an Audio Forum EVER. I am planning on a final write up to be posted this Sunday, and our experiences are pretty close. In the last 2 months, I have auditioned Maggie 20.7's, Magico S-5's, Monitor Audio Platinum PL500 II Towers ($27,000 per pair) and GoldenEar Triton Reference. 

The Ohm's have the depth of the Maggies, the dynamics of the Magico's, and just lack a bit of bass in contrast to the Monitor Audio and GoldenEar speakers. 

There are no regrets in this purchase, and the Ohms are staying in our system. 
Little known fact: Mamboni’s posts were a big part in my deciding to give newer OHM Walsh speakers a chance back in ~ 2008. I love mine  (series 3, one generation older than current) still for all the same reasons and find it hard to stay as immersed with most any box speaker for any prolonged period of time when it comes to serious listening.