Another favorite cartridge vanishes.. Dynavector 17D3. GONE! replaced..

Got the latest Music Direct catalog today, looked at cartridges. Hmmm no 17D3? instead at nearly twice as expensive 17DX from Dynavector... Tell me NOT SO! Sadly true, the 17D3 is discontinued.                          
Guess what is my favorite cartridge... Yes 17D3. The other is Benz Glider..                         
Just my luck.
elizabeth
Wow, that’s quite the price jump! I think the Karat model used to go for around the same price as the Glider L2 in 2007 when I bought one of the latter ($800). Now they’ve even jumped the price of the next model up the line. Updates must be coming there too.

I moved on from the Glider to the Ortofon Kontrapunkts, which I liked even better. They were superseded by the Cadenza line, which is also excellent and has remained (somewhat) reasonably priced over the years - but also at a healthy jump over what the Kontrapunkts were. BUT they can be fully rebuilt by Ortofon for around 50% of retail price, with relatively quick turnaround advertised, which is a nice option to have now that Benz and their generous trade-in policy are effectively gone.
Which Cadenza do you find offers the best value.  I've been using Benz, Ebony L and Glider SL, and thinking about something different.

Hi, Elizabeth,

I was also surprised at the price jump in the 17DX cartridge. So instead of trading in my 17D3 for a replacement I was thinking instead to give a Soundsmith retip a try. Replacing the stylus on that short cantilever might be troublesome though.

Anyone done a Soundsmith retip on a 17D3?

Tom

This is a picture of my 17DS with Diamond Cantilever on macro lens
Re-tipping this cartridge is a very bad idea and it will be inferior compared to the oiginal! Gemstone cantilever and nude diamond is one piece as you can see. SoundSmith can only drop a glue to fix his diamond on it, think about rigidity of this combination compared to the original @tketcham  

@barolobrain 
I own a Cadenza Bronze and have heard the Red. Also owned the Kontra "a", Kontra "c", and Jubilee, which were predecessors of the Red, Bronze, and Black respectively. With Benz I had the Glider L2, Wood M2, and a Reference 3 Copper.

I like both the Red and Bronze a lot at their respective price points. I stayed away from the Black because I didn't love the Jubilee, and have read reports that make it sound like it's an improved Jubilee (i.e. lacking some warmth of the Bronze). Of course I think the Bronze is better, but the Red is really solid at that price, and it can rock! Haven't heard the Blue or its predecessor, but it looks cool too.