sand versus shot in speaker stands

recently purchased monitors and stand for bedroom and do not know if i should fill stand or not. if the stands should be filled what material should be used. i always read about stands being sand or shot ready, but i must admit i do not know what is meant by shot and where one goes to by shot.

thanks in advance for the help
bianchi27
You can get clean dry sand from most hardware stores in a day or two. Just ask for a bag of Playground sand. I think it was 70lb at least 50lb and very inexpensive
Find a store near you that sells sand blasting shot. Make sure that is the silica sand type. It is dry and will not clump. I bought a 50# bag at a local tractor supply store for $8. It is more than heavy enough and does a good job dampening resonance.
sonically, lead is best. I have two sets of Chicago stands, spiked on the bottom and top and they work fine. Lead can be safely handled and on the Chicago stands it was easy to seal the tops so no dust could escape.
Lead (~11g/cc) is approximately seven times more dense than dry sand ((~1.6g/cc) or similar materials. Unhappily it is not environment friendly and its poisonous.
Mass is important for speaker stands and affects mainly low frequencies performance - the heavier your stand, the less it will move. Damping it will eliminate resonances that will affect mid and high frequencies and I remember reading advice from a speaker manufacturer that you should mix both to get the optimum filling, as thin sand is much more dissipative than lead.
Some years ago, as I did not want to use lead, I have used a filling of iron small parts (~7.8g/cc) and sand in my speaker stands.
But if an audiophile is really concerned with bass and ecology he can mix sand with gold (19.3g/cc) or uranium (19g/cc) to fill his stands!
Hello, we have recently received the new Lovan Black Gold High Density Speaker and Audio Stand Filler. It is very effective and easy to use. It is not dangerous as lead, it does not absorb moisture as play sand and kitty litter. It is supplied in plastic "easy to pour" jugs. It is made up of fine black silica and ferrous materials. So far, all purchasers have had positive results.
Cheers