My first Tube Amplifier

I have a 40 years of audio history starting with Garrard Turntable, Fisher Intergrated(SS), ADS bookself speaker on 1978.

But I started using tube amplifier on 1999.

Since then I had been using only tube amplifier in my main system.

My last SS main amplifier was Krell KSA 150 to drive Apogee Duetta Signature speakers.

http://www.jadis-electronics.com/photos/ja500/45/3/ja500.jpg

My first tube amplifier was Jadis 500 which comprised of 4 pieces weighing 120 lb each.

B&W 801 driven by Jadis 500 gave most deep and powerful bass at my home.

But it generated too much heat so it was hard to use during summer.

It was memorable experience to use it for 4 years.

I may not go back to such monster tube amplifier again.

How about you?

What is your first tube amplifier?

I bet two cents on no one had used larger one as the first tube amplifier than mine.

128x128shkong78
Like others here, I am of the generation where I thought all of us argued over whether Heathkit, Dynaco or McIntosh was the best.

In 1968, when I was 14, I put my money from mowing neighbor’s lawns and shoveling their snow into a Dyna Stereo 70, still considered a classic that -especially with upgraded caps, etc - performs as well as many of today’s amps costing 10 times as much or more.

In 1978, I graduated to a pair of Dyna MK III mono blocs.

I still own these amps for back up or parties.

In 1986, I moved on to a pair of The NY Audiolab version of the Julius Futterman output transformerless monoblocs, The OTL-3.

Two years ago, I had Jon Specter, formerly of The NY Audiolabs, convert the OTL-3s from pentode to triode and upgrade all the caps to Jansen foil/oil audio caps. Jon’s cousin, btw, is Al Kooper.
@ unreceivedogma

You had experienced tube amp at early age and had gone through lot of interesting tube amps.

I had not listened to OTL tube amp, so I am curious about it.

Maybe I may try out OTL amp if good used one come out at reasonable price.
Shkong78,

The OTL3s are almost impossible to come by. I’d be surprised if there were 1,000 pair surviving, most in Japan most likely. I can ask Jon to keep an eye out for a pair, but short of having him build a new pair from scratch, you may be waiting a long while.

I believe that Atma-Sphere makes a pair but I am not sure, and I think there is a company in Texas that introduced a model a few years back. I never heard either so I cannot vouch for them. I have heard a recording of Mikis Theodorakis’s “Canto General” that was recorded and mastered by Atma-Sphere: I found it to be a little disappointing from an engineering point of view, sadly so since artistically it competes well with the Farandouri performance.