DAC's : The missing feature: Signal quality

One thing I wish DAC's would provide is some idea of how much jitter and noise a particular input provides. This is something which I think with a little work could be gleaned from the input circuits.

I want something that tells me "woah, that's a really dirty signal coming in, but i"ll do the best I can with it."

One common source of noise is ground loops. Another may be high jitter from a source like Apple TV. This would also help us evaluate the benefits (if any) of various signal cleaners and reclockers.

Best,
E
erik_squires
@erik_squires Erik-assuming that you are talking about some kind of user interface that displays a reading or some LED array signifying such problems, what kind (and cost) of test equipment (outboard) would normally be used to ascertain such things? 
I can understand the op’s point of view. If it was an easy thing to do.. It might be good. I have no idea how hard it would be to implement? But as some have mentioned, the end result is already there. Plenty of folks can just hear (the result in the final sound) the input stream is not as good as another. So they already know.
Like when I bought on multiple recommendations, the Lifatec Toslink cable to connect my favorite five disc changers to my DAC. Yes it sounded ’better’. What else did I need? Proof? Why?
On the other hand if the DAC came with an easy meter or? and I could then come here and say Why yes the Lifatec reduced jitter 16% over my previous glass medical Toslink. ???I would think a stand alone device would be more appropriate. But who would PAY for one? if it cost $3000? even $300?
Look at it another way. We spend a lot of tiem money and effort looking for things to fix. Wouldn't it be good to have a dac that turns red if a particular source is no longer performing well?
I mean, if we hear something change, we often look for cables, power conditioners, or even room acoustics (which are always important!)

I'd love to have a little light saying "Man, it is really hard to lock onto this device now."
Best,
E
Erik, signal lock LED’s exist on DAC’s and reclockers. It’s pretty much a -/+ indicator, tho. 
@celander Exactly.

To answer the question about what we would use externally, jitter, noise and distortion measurements. I don't think we need to have all that test gear in place though.

For instance, there's circuitry which is making choices about adjusting the DAC to the incoming signal. Knowing some basic statistics about that. Like, what is the incoming long term variance? How often are there outliers?

The complicated view techs might see could be reduced in my mind.

I know at least one DAC even claims to compensate for impedance mismatches, so this must be measurable.

Best,
E