Which band IS really America's Greatest (rock & roll band)?

When I consider my priorities for this category, I cannot come up with any other than CCR.

Their output as a band was short compared to others, yes..

When I say America's greatest rock & roll band, this = the output or even the basis on which a band formed, had in their DNA, America's roots! It doesn't even matter that we now know CCR formed in California, their DNA as a band transformed their birthplace but it more importantly brought forth the (soul) of get down and dirty) Rock & Roll in it's raw form!

HELL YEAH!
128x128slaw
@bdp24,

I’m not trying to suck up. I do want to thank you for your response and the way you responded. The reason I mentioned the movie Cadillac Records was that several topics in that film are ones you've been talking about recently.

bdp24, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Which is fine of course. But even in your description of what makes a musician/organist a good one, I still feel like Manzarek fits the bill. His playing pretty much carried the Doors in my opinion (and the opinion of his band mates and other critics). But, its neither here nor there. I'm no expert. And I do appreciate your insight in the matter.

I also think it is funny that other musicians would say disparaging things about bands/groups that they have nothing to do with. I always feel that has more to do with their ego than the other group's capabilities. Under what circumstances does one rock legend disparage another? The Doors were the Doors. Their mark is indelible. Much of their music is fantastic in my opinion. If nothing else Jim was the first to have the nerve to disobey Ed Sullivan.  Live and on TV. Mick Jagger did not. ;-)

Again, I'm not a big Aerosmith fan. Saw them in concert in 1990. Great show. But I just don't know what to do about a comment like "Aerosmith is not a good band". They've made tons of music enjoyed by millions of people. They've been around for a long time. They've changed with the times and alternated fairly easily between rock/pop/movie scores etc. They are (or were up until recently) nearly a household name and their songs, dating back to the 70s, are still in constant radio rotation. Still, they don't tick the boxes that make me really like or admire a band but I still wouldn't say that they aren't a "good band".  The fact that I don't like them doesn't change what they've accomplished. Likewise with The Who, although I am a marginal Who fan.
@bigjoe

No argument about The Jimi Hendrix Experience being the Greatest Band Of All Time, but the thread is "America's Greatest". Jimi's American, Mitch is British, Noel is British, band was formed in London. I tend to describe them as "International".

@slaw---Yup, I watched the whole season of Cadillac Records, and was surprised it wasn't renewed for a second one. You can sure tell Martin Scorsese was involved, can't ya?! It really captures the New York attitude and energy, and the personality traits of people in the record and music business.

I had some issues with it in historical terms (just as I did with the TV movie Grace Of My Heart, a story about Phil Spector, Brian Wilson, and some other real life people, but done in a convoluted, mixed up way), but it was meant to be entertainment, not a documentary.