Turntable got absolutely crushed by CD

Long story short, i've just brought home a VPI classic 1 mounted with a Zu-Denon DL103 on JMW Memorial 10.5 with the appropriate heavier counterweight. Had everything dialed in..perfect azimuth, VTF, overhang, with only a slightly higher than perfect VTA. Levelling checked. All good. 

I did a comparison between the VPI and my Esoteric X03SE and it's not even close. The Esoteric completely crushes the VPI in all regards. The level of treble refinement, air, decay, soundstage depth and width, seperation, tonality, overall coherence is just a simply a league above from what I'm hearing from the VPI. The only area the VPI seems to be better at is bass weight, but not by much. 

I'm honestly quite dumbfounded here. I've always believed that analogue should be superior to digital. I know the Esoteric is a much pricier item but the VPI classic is supposed to be a very good turntable and shouldn't be a slouch either. At this point I feel like I should give up on analogue playback and invest further in digital. 

Has anyone had a similar experience comparing the best of digital to a very good analogue setup?

Equipment:
Esoteric X03SE 
VPI Classic, JMW Memorial 10.5, Zu-DL103
Accuphase C200L
Accuphase P600
AR 90 speakers

Test Record/CD:
Sarah McLachlan - Surfacing (Redbook vs MOV 180g reissue)

chadsort

Ain't no way a starter level record player, can even beat cheap digital; or why else would millions of people chuck their mid fi turntables, and sell or give away records?
Ain't no way a starter level record player, can even beat cheap digital; or why else would millions of people chuck their mid fi turntables, and sell or give away records?

Because CD was the next BIG thing and "people" generally are stupid and sheep! It was space age, it was new, it was easy, it was convenient.
SQ was not part of the reasoning for the vast unwashed.

Rant over...lol
It really depends on what one considers as a "starter system;" at really low prices, digital players are vastly superior to cheap vinyl rigs which not only sound terrible, but also risk damaging records.  But, improvements as one moves up the price/quality curve for digital gear is less dramatic than is the case with phono gear.  The OP is placed quite far from "starter" with both setups.  

I would recommend that the OP first look into loading issues, and perhaps VTA--both are common sources of problems with shut in top end.  Excessive loading (too LOW a value for the resistance) and too low VTA, can cause this sort of problems.

Once performance is optimize, it might well be the case that the OP still favors the digital rig, probably because that sound is more familiar to the OP.  It may take some time, but, with setup optimized, the virtues of the vinyl sound may become more evident.  This is sort of a learning process and familiarity is important.  

I personally think both digital and vinyl setups can deliver great performance and I will not take sides in any sort of religious war.  I think there are far bigger differences when making other sort of audio choices: high power vs. low power amps, solid state vs. tube, electrostatic vs. dynamic drivers, planar vs. point source, and so on.

I've been listening to records since I was born, 78's; there is nothing special about a record until you add "expensive" high end hardware.

I hope young people who are deceived into believing that there is something special about a record with that "starter crap" can afford high end analog, otherwise they've wasted their money.

Yes, the OP is far from starter; he's so close, all he needs is some professional help that will steer him into the necessary changes.