Speaker recommendation for Home Theater

Ok.  I need some advice.  Here is some context:  I’ve been out of the HiFi game for over 10 years.  My last set of speakers were a Magnepan 5.1 setup with 1.6QR mains, CC3 center and surrounds and a REL B3 Sub.  These are starting to buzz due to old age and i figured I might just upgrade all around.    I do love the sound of the Maggies in a surround setup but could be up for a change.  Total budget would be about $15k (+/-) for a 5.1 setup.   I’d also be open to going 7.1.4 with some Atmos action down the road...  

I don’t do much 2 channel listening anymore - kids and forced-family-fun have ruled out time for me to sit anywhere for more than 30 seconds except when watching movies.  

What say you?  
wanderingmoo
Post removed 
Post removed 
Soix you totally missed  our points in your rant about not understanding the OP, we do nor did we denegrate your comments, the difference is we are disagreeing with your point about that paying more is not really going to get you more. 

The point we made about PSB to KEF Reference was that it was clealy audiible that moving from a great $5k speaker system to a $14k one was very audibile even in the context of a lowly " Home Theater system."

If you had professional experience in a store with a great professionally designed ATC theater then you should no the joys of listening to and experience a Movie on such a system. 

As per selling gear and recommending same, we sell many of the best brands in audio , we tend to do theaters with KEF or Tannoy because dual concentric drivers work wonders in imperfect rooms and  both Tannoy and KEF  employ drivers with very good high frequency extension and both have great dynamics. 

Over the years we have done theaters wtih most of the major loudspeakers lines out there. 

The best theaters we have ever heard have been from .  Procella and PHC.

Soix you also fail to understand that just because we have a store we also have to spend money on tons of other stuff we all do, life is about making choices. one choice is to purchase the stuff you really want and build over time, the other is to make major cuts in budgets and buy stuff which you feel comes closer to the better gear but is less expensive.

Before I built Audio Doctor, I worked at two major NYC retailors and had to make choices on what to buy as well, if you saw my first true high end rig it was hopelessly mismatched. 

Started with a pair of Quad ELS 63 on an Aiwa mini system, then came a Halfler Power amp, and a Sumo preamp, before moving into even better gear MFA power amps and an Electro preamp it took me five years to build that system, in my mind there never was a choice to compromise it was buy the best single parts over time until the system was done. 

The best path for the OP is to start to demo different levels of speakers and then he can make up his own mind on the value proposition of moving into better products or not.

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ

Not to mention that electronics are very important too along with cables and acoustic. 
Thought I would mention the setup I went with and have been quite happy with the results. 

I have a Classe CT-SSP pre/pro, and while separating my home theatre and two channel stereo into two independent systems I decided to try using two Focal Solo6 Be self powered pro monitors with the CT-SSP for my front right and left channels. This is a 4.1 setup using phantom center channel. I found it necessary to set the crossover at 90hz to get what I consider to be stellar performance out of this setup. I have considered adding a 3rd Solo6 Be for true 5.1 setup, but it sounds so good as is I'm just not sure it would be money well spent.

As always YMMV but these Focal monitors are amazing and you can buy them with a 30 day return policy. Might be worth a try as you could save $$ over other setups.

Gary