Is it true records are sealed to look better....

...and need a thorough proper cleaning even when new to sound best?

A vendor of ultrasonic record cleaning machines asserted this to me recently.  He also described a 45 minute process using an ultrasonic record cleaner to address it. Yikes! I clean my records manually now in just a few minutes and sounds clean when done. I thought an automatic record cleaner would save time and make things easier but not according to this particular expert.

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xmapman
SOME vendors will indeed spray something on used records to make the surface look shiny and with fewer imperfections. I have heard thatsome use Armor All! Ack.

New records have nothing on them except mold release agent. I clean all new records before their first spin.
You should also know that there is such a thing as an LP resealing machine. Every Tower Records had one in it's back room; every returned LP was visually inspected, and a disc with no obvious defects (scratches, etc.) was cleaned of fingerprints (with Windex and a paper towel!), reinserted into it's sleeve and cover, and put into a sheet of plastic very similar to the factory one, and sealed. The LP was then put back into the store's racks, and resold to an unsuspecting customer. That an LP is sealed is no absolute guarantee that it is new. One thing that proves a sealed LP is actually factory-fresh is a descriptive sticker on the plastic wrap. Another thing to look for is a seal right on the edge of the cover; the record store resealing machine produced that seal, factory sealing machines didn't.
One local used record store decided to seal ALL the used records. I just never went back there.
I don't clean new Lp's either.  @elizabeth:  One of our local used record stores has a few sealed used Lp's.  I bit once, never again.