Modestly priced bookshelf speakers for cabin.

I have a small cabin in the country where I spend weekends.

Current system is a 1980's Toshiba 25wpc receiver I got in high school. Bose 2.2 bookshelf speakers that are about 28 years old. They actually sound okay to me most of the time. $14 Sony DVD/CD player from Goodwill.

Even though this 'system' is sufficient most of the time, I've got the hi-fi bug since getting my home system and I've started thinking about slowly upgrading the cabin system on the lowest budget I can.....since I can't really justify doing it at all. ;-)

Rarely do I do any serious listening down there but would like to be able to when I have the chance.

So my first step is to replace the Bose speakers. Looking to spend no more than $350 or so. Is it possible to significantly improve on the Bose at that price? (I'm assuming yes).

The only thing I've even considered is the Klipsch RB-61 IIs or RP 160Ms. Why Klipsch? Back in the 70's my eccentric uncle used to have a massive pair of them that I thought were cool. Open to other options and advice.

Thanks for any advice.

n80
Well, I’ve definitely got the bug. Putting together something nicer at the cabin on a small budget has its appeal.

However, I’m here at the cabin right now and to be honest these little Bose speakers don’t sound all that bad when positioned properly and with 12 gauge speaker wire rather than 18. I know Bose is a passé brand that folks love to hate but in this environment I can’t fault these 2.2s much. Maybe just my untrained ears.

I’m enjoying listening to them and it really doesn’t make sense to spend money where I don’t need to. So, will probably save for a better DAC and/ or a Node 2 for the home system.

I’ll admit I’m a little disappointed not to be on the market to upgrade as it is fun....just no real need now.

Being content can be a bummer. ;-)

Any way, I do appreciate all the good advice. And once my daughter and her husband move out of my cabin when their home is finished I may rethink this.
I have built two systems for my girlfriend based on Spica TC-50s. A pair (used, of course) is available on Ebay for 300usd. You will need a decent pair of stands. But they were and continue to be remarkable speakers.