Turntable got absolutely crushed by CD

Long story short, i've just brought home a VPI classic 1 mounted with a Zu-Denon DL103 on JMW Memorial 10.5 with the appropriate heavier counterweight. Had everything dialed in..perfect azimuth, VTF, overhang, with only a slightly higher than perfect VTA. Levelling checked. All good. 

I did a comparison between the VPI and my Esoteric X03SE and it's not even close. The Esoteric completely crushes the VPI in all regards. The level of treble refinement, air, decay, soundstage depth and width, seperation, tonality, overall coherence is just a simply a league above from what I'm hearing from the VPI. The only area the VPI seems to be better at is bass weight, but not by much. 

I'm honestly quite dumbfounded here. I've always believed that analogue should be superior to digital. I know the Esoteric is a much pricier item but the VPI classic is supposed to be a very good turntable and shouldn't be a slouch either. At this point I feel like I should give up on analogue playback and invest further in digital. 

Has anyone had a similar experience comparing the best of digital to a very good analogue setup?

Equipment:
Esoteric X03SE 
VPI Classic, JMW Memorial 10.5, Zu-DL103
Accuphase C200L
Accuphase P600
AR 90 speakers

Test Record/CD:
Sarah McLachlan - Surfacing (Redbook vs MOV 180g reissue)

chadsort
Lastly if your lp is not one the first 100 off the press it wont be as good as the first 10.LPs do wear out after many years, even if you running super light.I know a diamond engineer who cuts diamond styli...X debeers SA, my great grandfather was the diamond engineer for Cecil, Fuller Williams.He with the help of the workers mined the diamonds..wrote a book..some dreams come true which i have and treasure...
My first styli was a shure encore, cost me a months pay in 78.Had an entry level pioneer pld2 if memory serves..a nick in an lp destroyed the shure!Thats when i went cda.

and cd writers cut memorex discs at the slowest speed,4x, they are still good 40 years later!I dont know if an lp will last that long...sounding as good as new.

The compliance of your cartridge is quoted by Zu as 5cu which is stiff for your arm if 5cu is really the correct number to use. Japanese manufacturers specify the compliance at 100 Hz instead of 10 Hz standard. A practice is to derive the compliance at 10 Hz by multiplying it by 1.5 or 2. That would place the compliance of your cartridge between 7.5 to 10 cu which is better for your arm. Overall though, this cartridge may be too stiff for your arm. Regarding your arm, did you check the amount of damping oil in the well? VPI says “if you feel the sound to be constricted (overly damped), remove some of the fluid.” You can check your guide for advice on the amount of oil and whether to thin it.

I use a Denon DL-103r in a Denon tonearm with Denon AU-320 step up transformer (SUT).  The r version of this cartridge has a 14 Ohm impedance but still works well with the transformer at the transformer’s 40 Ohm setting. Your cartridge has the 40 Ohm impedance that the transformer expects. These transformers are always available on the auction site for $350 or less including shipping from Japan. If you don’t mind spending a little more money a SUT might be worth a try. You can always sell it on the same site if you don’t like it and get most of your money back. The input impedance of your phono stage to work with the transformer would be about 47K, i.e., the moving magnet input or setting.

The Denon DL-103 is a classic cartridge desired for its overall realistic effect. It will not necessarily impress with extreme detail or other sensational sonic effects. I recommend you continue to look at your setup and see where adjustments can be made. A SUT will do some of the work of your phono preamp and clear up any impedance issues. This could get things to sound better overall.