inherent design flaws with a 3 way, 15" / 8" / horn (large tower) speaker?

hello

I see precious few classic large 3-ways (15" woofer 8" mid and a large horn) being developed these days, at least amongst the speaker designers I run across.

Is there an INHERENT reason, other than size, why a large tower-style speaker can't match the musicality of what seems to be the dominant designs these days (2-way bookshelf, or MTM)?
ovaklakah
Your premise is flawed.  There are many, myself included, who consider a 2-way or 3-way with 15” vintage paper cone woofer to be more musical than a 2-way bookshelf or slim modern speaker.  The key is the “vintage paper cone” part.  These woofers have little in common with a modern era 15” woofer with a heavy synthetic cone. The vintage woofer is more efficient (99 dB for example) and super-fast; it can blend seamlessly with a lightning fast horn/compression driver.  Forget the 8” driver in your example.  A good vintage woofer can easily cross over to a horn at 800 or 1200 Hz.  Having a driver in between would simply make the sound less coherent, less seamless.

So why aren’t speakers with a 15” woofer and big horn more common today?  Size is the main reason.  The woofer is big, the cabinet for the woofer is much bigger than normal today, and the horn is also big.  And then you need a pair for stereo.  But for those who have the room to accommodate a pair of large speakers, this is the way to go in my opinion.
thank you for a great response.  i did order a pair of car audio 15"s as an experiment.  Ultimately I would love to decipher the hundreds of jbl driver model numbers and find something "new but vintage" to drive these speakers. crossover to sub at 80 or 100hz and to the mid at around 550hz. if i can find an 8 that is sufficiently musical from 550-1850 hz (horn-dependent) ill hand it over there (1850 or so). ultimately diy second order crossovers MAX (a great speaker imo should hand over frequencies gracefully back and forth to the correct drivers)
withering feedback welcomed within reason
The Classic Audio Loudspeaker models T-1 and T-3 seem to be set up this way. They sound great- one of the most transparent and musical speakers I've heard.