Could I be a Retail Wretch?

I started a discussion here this morning to get some feedback on whether an external DAC would make an appreciable improvement over an internal processor’s DAC. During the discussion, I said that I typically visit a local audio dealer, to experience the equipment and then, comparison shop to find the best deal. The particular dealer I was referring to, emails me weekly, sends postcards monthly and catalogs quarterly. It’s always with an invitation to “see and hear the difference”. So I visit, and occasionally buy some small ticket items. But, when it comes to spending thousands on nationally available equipment, I don’t feel any obligation to limit my shopping to that one location.

When I shared my buying habits with the forum, I received responses that said using any brick and mortar stores to demo and then buying elsewhere “cuzz” it’s cheaper is just plain wrong…

I was surprised at that statement. I’m a value oriented person. I enjoy quality items. But I search for them at the best price - is that wrong? If there’s no competitive pricing or added value, why should I feel obligated?

gwbeers
I personally think that you are fine doing what you are doing as long as you ask the brick and mortar store to price match. If they wont then that is on them and their business practices. 

I think we all know that the price is not really the price on just about anything. There is always room to negotiate. 

Why pay $25k for CLX Arts when another dealer is will to sell them for $15k. Cost to the dealer is only about $13k. So if a dealer wants to move equipment they will be aggressive and make money. If a consumer wants the next best piece in the chain in the search for SOTA they should be conservative and thrifty because the next SOTA piece is just around the corner. 

After spending 50 years in commissioned sales, and the last 40 years before retiring in residential real estate sales, my skin is about three feet thick.

Imagine showing a very picky couple over 60 homes over a two month period, only to have them walk into someone else's open house and buying directly from that agent because the agent told them he/she would kick back a point of the commission to them.

Yep, it happens.

Next!

Frank
Here’s the thing as far as dealers are concerned: if you find one that can provide the gear you like, provides service, support, loaners, takes trade-ins and will work with you, you should treasure them. I have had a couple of long term relationships with dealers when I was located in New York and they served me well. There is some value in that, and that is worth paying a few dollars more-- you need an odd part? Help on trouble shooting? Want to try a piece of gear at home before you commit? In the long run, you may actually be better served by that (and find it more cost-effective) than price shopping for each item to save a few bucks. However, it is up to the dealer to be able to meet this kind of service level, and it’s not common. If you find such a dealer, you’ll probably want to continue to do business with them purely out of self-interest.
There is no moral issue here. The OP is not behaving unethically. He is under no obligation to abide by someone else’s personal code of conduct and anyone suggesting that he is does not have any basis for it in my opinion.

But there is a problem with doing this: Your local dealer folds and goes away. Then it is your loss and his loss.

I used to have the opinion that it was just good competition to get the best price I could no matter what.

Then one day in a totally different hobby I lowballed a local dealer into giving me a price on an item that I could have gotten for less from a big internet provider. He came close enough that I bought from him. I felt good about buying local and getting a decent price.

A good bit later I learned that his business was struggling and barely hanging on and it occurred to me how much I would lose if he was gone.

And if you haven’t noticed small specialized business are dying and almost non-existent. At first it was the big box stores and Wally-marts. Then it was online sales.

Bottom line is, if you value having a local provider then you better do business with him even if it costs you more. That is pretty much my mantra these days. But it isn’t a moral or ethical issue at all.
There is no moral issue here. The OP is not behaving unethically.

...But it isn’t a moral or ethical issue at all.

Are you suggesting your moral and ethical standards are 'the' standard? : )