Dumb file size question.

I just downloaded my first album from HD Tracks and was a bit shocked at the file size. I downloaded it at 96/24 in ALAC format. It is 1.26 GB! When I rip my CDs in ALAC format they are around 300 MB. What's up here? Is the HD Tracks file just uncompressed? Will iTunes compress it? Sorry for the stupidity just wasn't expecting to have to store and deal with files that large.
n80
The ratio of data is about 3.3.
(96 * 24 ) / (44  * 16) ~= 3.3
3.3 * 300 = 990

So 1.2 Gigs is actually a little on the high side. ALAC and FLAC are compressed, but with FLAC the compression is user selectable (somewhat).
It might be worth seeing if you can improve upon that.

Keep in mind that while FLAC (and maybe ALAC) let you select compression effort, but being both lossless, there's a limit to how compressed a file can be.

Best,
E

At some point, I read about differences about the source these high-resolution websites get their music from. I forgot the details but there was lots of discrepancy among them, at least at that point in time. Sort of "rip the CD into (let's say) DSD". I have no further knowledge about that, just a faded memory of an article.

For now, and for a quick info about other websites, this has a few mentioned...

https://www.sony.com/electronics/best-music-download-sites-hi-res-audio
n80,

Some time ago, you said that you had no interest in downloads and will go on with CDs. I abstained, forced myself to, from suggesting you consider CDs on a hard drive. You and I have, at this point, downloaded same number of albums (1) and I have no real intention to make it more common. Something will probably trickle over time, I know. I still buy CDs and, unfortunately, records (rarely). I even bought a CD player recently. However, the difference in convenience between CDs and those same CDs on a hard drive is ridiculous. I suggest you, gradually, consider that option. It is really much nicer way of dealing with your music collection. Depending on your car, you may even take the whole collection with you on a trip. It is really better than you might have thought. 
You are right. And I’ve already done it. I’ve got about 60 of my 150 or CDs on the hard drive of an old iMac via iTunes running into a Schiit Modi 2 Uber DAC via USB cable.

A very modest setup no doubt. But very convenient. Apple Remote works very well from my cell phone.

SQ? Well, not that bad really. When my Arcam CD92 was fully functional I felt like played CDs were a bit brighter through the CDP. My wife agreed but actually liked the warmer less strident SQ from the ripped CDs.

Now that the DAC in the Arcam is dead I’m using it as a transport running through the Schiit and there is very little difference in SQ between a played CD and the ripped CDs.

This suggests to me that a better DAC will yield some SQ improvement. I’m watching Bifrosts on eBay.

But to be completely honest, when I’m listening to a well produced high quality ripped CD through the DAC I don’t feel like anything is necessarily lacking.

Definitely not inclined to fill up my hard drive with massive HD Tracks files whenever I can get a used $6 CD that sounds just as good, ripped or played.

Have also been studying the BlueSound Vault 2i. Seems like a one component solution. But that's $1200. My current set up set me back $110.
Disk is cheap, well worth the extra space used. Hopefully you have a high speed internet connection with unlimited data.