Digital streaming options for my system are confusing

I appreciate your advise in advance as I am more of a old school vinyl/cd guy. I have a McIntosh MAC6700 integrated receiver. It has a DAC but tech in this area is evolving at such a rapid rate that I am confused as the best way to access a high audio quality streaming/digital playback source. I have heard hi end streaming services (Tidal?) are great but my Amp does not have a direct iPhone/iPad connector. What is the best way to go that will keep my system simple and easy for the whole family to access? 
telemarcer
The Node 2i has both analog and digital outputs.  The simplest connection is rca cables from the analog outputs of the Node to any input on your Mac.  You now have music playing.
This connection is using the internal dac of the Node and allows hi Rez audio files to be played via MQA decoding from Tidal.
A separate digital only (just the 1’s and 0’s) connection using a digital cable (could be optical or rca) to your Mac’s built in dac will also play music but will not unfold MQA files from Tidal.
You can have both connected at the same time and switch source inputs on the Mac to see which you prefer.
Neither choice has anything to do with the amplifier output.
The reality of this is that the Node is a good device, we have the Node and have done extensive tests vs the higher end Innuous products and there is really no comparison.

The integrity of the data in the Node is not the same as what you get out of an Innuous even their starter Zen Mini will be a superior product and if you add in the cost of a Node plus a vault you are at the same money as the Zen Mini.

When you factor in the ability to upconvert your data to high resolution via Roon, and add in that Roon and Tidal will also give you MQA first level unfold to 24/96k as well, and you also get a dedicated Roon Core, you have a much better solution all in one solution then a Vault +Node.

However with that being said you have a $500 Node 2i going against a $1,400.00 Zen Mini if you don’t add the Vault.

One of the OP biggest concerns is sound quality and ease of use and yes without a shadow of doubt the Zen Mini plus a good USB cable going into the 6700 will give the OP the best possible digital stream.

The Node will only allow 16bit 44k digital with the Zen you can get 24bit 192k upsampled digital for all sources which means the OP's storred CD's can also benefit heck the OP can probably store his entire collection on the Zen Mini as well.

One of the biggest pluses of the Zen plus Roon is using it is so simple and can be played back via any Android or Iphone or Android or IOS tablets.

In terms of a user experience nothing beats Roon, and Roon is completely intuative and offers a much more indepth music surfing experience than the blue sound OS, another plus with Roon is the ability to talk with music devices thoughout your home which includes a $35 Google Chrome which you can connect to other devices throught the home for an integrated solution also Sonos devices can be controlled via Roon as well.

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ Bluesound and Innuous dealer,
Stairway to streaming:

1. pick network streamer -- I love the Bryston BDP Pi (no DAC) $1200 or the Modified Sonos from Wyred4Sound $399 or CCA for $15+$60 modifications
2. subscribe to music service --I love Tidal Hi Res in particular free trial, but $20 per month
3. pick software management -- I love Roon’s interface annual fee, but you can find free trial codes online
4. Load Roon on to your computer making it a server for your music. Check to make sure your computer can handle it. You can find Roon computer specs on their site
5. Load the Roon app/remote to your tablet or phone

Sit back and enjoy. Check out John Darko’s site for more information.

I use a Bryston BDP Pi. It’s just a streamer without a DAC. Contains optical out and is also a ROON endpoint. You can connect it to the ethernet or use wifi. Highest resolution is 24/192. Sounds excellent. Chromecast is nice too and much cheaper. You can run Toslink as well and it’s a ROON endpoint. Same output resolution. Here’s a link on how to supercharge your Chromecast audio. If you have higher res files than 24/192 or DSD files then the systems below would be better suited.

https://darko.audio/2018/07/letters-to-the-editor-3-ways-to-juice-your-chromecast-audio/

https://wyred4sound.com/products/upgrades-and-mods/sonos-connect-modified

http://www.bryston.com/products/digital_audio/BDP-Pi.html

Other options are the Aurelic G2, Aurender n100, Innuous, Wyred4Sound music server. Each of these costs $2k+

I’ve owed a bluesound, but keep in mind it has a DAC. I sold it and bought a Bryston. Good luck. Bryston has great service. Give them a call to discuss.
The Innuous is very easy to setup and does require a Roon subscription which is $120 a year or $500 lifetime.
I am a newbie, so someone please correct me if I am wrong. I have a Innuos ZenMini MK II  (Demo for $800) with iPeng connected to a Chord Qutest and no Roon running (iPeng instead). Now I dont know if I am losing a lot by having iPeng and not Roon, but a one time fee of about $10 and format looks good and easy to use (I am 50, VERY new to the HiFi) but save 120/yr or $500/lifetime reducing cost if this is a reasonable alternate to Roon