Is there a better DAC than the Schiit Bifrost for $300?

I have a Schiit Modi 2 Uber as my DAC. I'm not completely dissatisfied with it but understand that it is low end and that there must be room for improvement. I've got a nice older system but I'm not a fanatic about SQ (yet). I could use the Modi elsewhere or sell it...although Schiit just came out with the Modi 3 so the Modi 2 Uber is only worth about $60-$70 now.

There are open box Bifrosts on eBay for around $330. They are $400 new.

My questions are:

Should I see noticeable improvement going from the Modi 2 to the Bifrost?
What if I just went to a Modi 2 Multibit at $250 new, $200 used?
Is there another DAC I should consider in the $250-$300 range?
n80
@kalali

Don’t get me wrong, the Modi 3 (with or without MB) is excellent. The Topping D50 for instance is just really excellent (channel matching within 0.1dB, THD+Noise below -107dBFS, IMD below -55dBFS, jitter reduction below -125dBFS, volume linearity within 0.1dB past -120dBFS, etc.). I don’t know about the filter response nor channel separation, but in those metrics listed it will impart no audible sound (well, no IMD audibility thresholds have been done to my knowledge, but better than -55dBFS is pretty below the signal).

These days, it’s hard to buy a bad DAC (from a reputable company, backed by reviews and measurements). And I doubt the D50 and Modi3 will really sound different (making sure they are volume matched within 0.1dB, as voltage outputs are not identical).
Pre Box S2 Digital -  32bit/768kHz PCM and DSD512 , FULL hardware MQA decoding, Dual mono high end ESS Sabre ESS9038 dual DAC
The best DAC money can buy not in that price but even double its price.
https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/pre-box-s2-digital/
There is a guy on youtube who did a test regarding the schiit dacs.
He had someone switch between the lesser expensive one vs the higher priced one to see if he could tell the difference. If I remember correctly he was only right 4 out of 10 times. So 6 times he couldn't tell which was the high priced one.
genesis777, I have a deep suspicion that those sorts of results would be true more than most audiophiles would like to admit. 

Anyway, thanks for the advice guys. I'll look into some of these other units.
I've not used any Schiit DACs but to second Pappan I have been very happy with my Project Pre Box S2. 
Much better than the DAC in either my original Peachtree Audio Nova or Outlaw Audio RR2160. 

$399.00