Is there a better DAC than the Schiit Bifrost for $300?

I have a Schiit Modi 2 Uber as my DAC. I'm not completely dissatisfied with it but understand that it is low end and that there must be room for improvement. I've got a nice older system but I'm not a fanatic about SQ (yet). I could use the Modi elsewhere or sell it...although Schiit just came out with the Modi 3 so the Modi 2 Uber is only worth about $60-$70 now.

There are open box Bifrosts on eBay for around $330. They are $400 new.

My questions are:

Should I see noticeable improvement going from the Modi 2 to the Bifrost?
What if I just went to a Modi 2 Multibit at $250 new, $200 used?
Is there another DAC I should consider in the $250-$300 range?
n80
I've not used any Schiit DACs but to second Pappan I have been very happy with my Project Pre Box S2. 
Much better than the DAC in either my original Peachtree Audio Nova or Outlaw Audio RR2160. 

$399.00
The Topping is $250 new. No used ones on eBay

The Pre Box S2 Digital is $400 new. 1 used on eBay at $350

Schiit Bifrost with latest hardware is $400 new. 1 used on eBay at $330

Schiit Bifrost Multibit is $600 new. No used ones on eBay

Schiit Modi Multibit is $250 new. One used on eBay for $190 (not sure if it is the same as the current one).

There are plenty of Modi 2 and Modi 2 Ubers (like mine) on eBay for cheap since the Modi 3 came out.

I really struggle with this subject. I love Schiit Audio, purchased five of their products, and tremendously enjoy their Saga tube remote preamp, Lyr 2 headphone amplifier (with NOS tube upgrade) and Mani phono preamp.
When talking DACs, it seems the best DACs I have enjoyed were inboard delta-sigma cd player dacs as well as outboard stand alone units.
So, I purchased a Schiit Audio Gungnir Multibit DAC using it 90% of the time with Grado P-500 headphones and I found myself asking.... is this worth it? Even though it sounded good, I just could not justify the $1249.00 price for it. I think  DACs just don't make as big a difference as other components do. I may buy another Schiit DAC; probably a Modi 3 or Bifrost (D/S), even though waiting for their new USB models would be the best option.
@genesis777

“But, but, were they using a highly resolving system like mine or have golden ears like me?!”

Thats the usually response, lots of people who won’t even entertain the notion that they are nearly inaudible different.
any sub-$500 DACs with balanced XLR, MQA and DSD capabilities?
XLR and MQA is probably most important for me, I use powered speakers