Thoughts on VTA......

I have read countless posts where members are spending hours on exacting setup of their VTA with varying levels of tools.

Then there is another camp who set by ear.

My thoughts/questions on this subject arise from vinyl thickness difference.

Surely going from a flimsy flier early 70,s vinyl to a later 180 or even 200gm issue is going to change that painstakingly set VTA considerably.

So thoughts rattling round is why go to all that trouble when it IS going to change depending on the vinyl played?

To my mind it would appear that one of the arms that includes on the fly VTA adjustment would be the answer.

Your opinions or suggestions?
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xuberwaltz
String, same here, but I also find that, with VTA correctly adjusted, the surface noise of the record falls into a different plane than the music. When misadjusted the two occupy the same space.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to achieve this with my 78s; perhaps I need to keep trying.
Dear @uberwaltz @stringreen @viridian : The name of the game with cartridge/tonearm/LP is accuracy in the overall set up.

First target is an accurate cartridge/tonearm geometry alignment choosed: accurated P2S distance, accuarted overhang and accurated offset angle.

We can be " anal " to set up the VTA/SRA parameter or all the other ones named here but even that we made it with a true reference as live MUSIC ( not Tidal or LPs. ) things are so imperfect in LPs manufacture that with the same LP things are " perfect " in side 1 but for different reasons the quality level performance in the side 2 is well different ! ! ? ?

In the other side each time we make changes in VTA/SRA the AZ changed too. Any one can use a tiny level at the headshell and make a significant change on VTA up and down and you will see that AZ always change. With some parameters exist an intrinsecal relationship that make imposible that each one of them stays " perfect " and no matter what the LP/analog imperfections will make that our hard and time consuming work falls down.

As better the audio system resolution as wider range margin/limit we have for the VTA/SRA set up, the window is a little wider ( quality really acceptable. Obviously is one and only one point where belongs " perfect " VTA/SRA. ) and that permits that even with all LP imperfections we can stay nearer to the VTA/SRA accurate target.

Those LP/analog imperfections impedes that all of us can have precise/no-compromise rules about because that does not exist and additional to that the tracking error in pivoted tonearms at each single groove makes things more complicated.

Again, what we want to do must has a reference and mine always is live MUSIC at nera field position not: " I like it that way " with no true/real coherent reference at all.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,
R.

Raul:

Respectfully, for you the end game is verisimilitude to live music. And that is great. But that is not true for me. I simply want most of my records to be listenable.

I am not an audiophile, but a music lover. And so, I have many mono albums that were not well handled by their previous owners, nor are many of them well recorded. Ditto my collection of 78s. All I want is access to my, very varied, collection without getting run out of the room.

I go to several live concerts every months, and nothing in my setup has any relationship to what I hear in the concert hall. And I'm just fine with that.

Veridian....I'm a pro musician myself.  Music sounds WAY different from the audience than when one is performing it on stage.   Personally I listen for music differently than as an audiophile.  Sometimes I play the record twice for each of the experiences.
Dear @viridian : First than all I'm like you: a music lover, difference is that things are that I not only want that my LPs be listenable but with the best quality performance levels my ignorance permits to achieve. Yes I´m an audiophile too and no no 78rpm recordings.

Like you I attend at least one day each week to listen live MUSIC.

R.