Could I be a Retail Wretch?

I started a discussion here this morning to get some feedback on whether an external DAC would make an appreciable improvement over an internal processor’s DAC. During the discussion, I said that I typically visit a local audio dealer, to experience the equipment and then, comparison shop to find the best deal. The particular dealer I was referring to, emails me weekly, sends postcards monthly and catalogs quarterly. It’s always with an invitation to “see and hear the difference”. So I visit, and occasionally buy some small ticket items. But, when it comes to spending thousands on nationally available equipment, I don’t feel any obligation to limit my shopping to that one location.

When I shared my buying habits with the forum, I received responses that said using any brick and mortar stores to demo and then buying elsewhere “cuzz” it’s cheaper is just plain wrong…

I was surprised at that statement. I’m a value oriented person. I enjoy quality items. But I search for them at the best price - is that wrong? If there’s no competitive pricing or added value, why should I feel obligated?

gwbeers
Hey, at least you got a good plug in for those guys....   hopefully some locals will stop in and see what they have to offer.   
I just looked at the google maps hoping to see where the stores are but it does not easily show. I found a bunch of Indian restaurants, though. Audio shops may really need to up their advertising game. True, it was only by pointing to NoHo Audio and then zooming on the map hoping to see names written and not specifically googling for stores.

@elizabeth, 

I agree, with perhaps the inclusion of LA. I think wherever there’s a very diverse cultural demographic, the practice of haggling is inherently ingrained.

@oddiofyl

I was trying to avoid the use of any business names in a post about pricing policies, that might bias anyone’s opinion. The reference I made to that one store was only geographical in nature, I chose it because it is pretty much central to the other shops in that 25 block radius. But, if it put an uptick in floor traffic - great!

@gluson

Do a search for “hifi shops manhattan”. There are more in Manhattan, but Broadway and 8th Street is the center of the  “walking distance” radius I was referring to. 

Actually you are much worse then you think......although I had a guy come in and wanted to audition a 10K amp. He did listen and liked it. I let him take it home to try it in his home in his system and apparently it sounded good so he brought it back and bought the one he had seen on line.  That is enough to urge me to close my business. Not sure what you do for a living but a little respect would be nice....

"

Well terry9

1. I wouldn’t have spent $5800 for a $7000 list item online, if that item wasn’t returnable. Plus, it’s the perfect audition, in my room, with my gear. No loss, great demo.

2. I audition that equipment and decide it's not for me. I buy something else instead. Agreed.

Do you see a difference? I don’t.

"

You asked about a store demo. Now you change your tune to online. See a difference?

You asked for my opinion of your behaviour. I think it's sleazy. Just plain sleazy.