Do 45 rpm 12" LPs really sound better than 33 rpm?

Increasingly, one can buy 12-inch 45 rpm LPs. Theoretically, they provide a wider dynamic and frequency range, but I come across a strange effect... Yes, the bass strings seem to be tightened stronger, but in general ... Imagine you have two cars with a power of 250 hp, but one is equipped with an honest atmospheric V6 or V8, and the second has 2 liters turbo. 

Tell me, is it just my impression? Or maybe I need to change the cartridge or settings (for example, impedance) of the phono preamp?

128x128mishan
@billstevenson - " Some of the gains are offset by the loss due to the inferior signal to noise ratio."?? What, "inferior S/N ratio? I have both new(as of 2000) and old(bought in the 80’s), 45 RPM, 12" vinyls. I’ve always prized them ALL, for their excellent fidelity and lack of surface noise. Blanket statements, such as yours, are seldom substantiated . Got links/facts?

all other things being equal, a 12" 45rpm pressing will outperform a 33rpm pressing of the same recording. it will have clearly greater bandwidth and dynamic range, show more scale and authority, and have more detail. it will sound bigger and bolder. just the physics of the media.

and normally a 12" 45rpm pressing will be better mastered, since there is more room for wider grooves allowing for more dynamics, and to get paid the premium for the 45rpm process, greater care is typically taken with the whole process, thicker vinyl is typically used.

but there are variables involved, so only about 80% of the time does the 45rpm actually surpass all 33rpm choices. mostly the cases where the 33rpm is equal or better involve original pressings where the source master tape is fresh and optimal care was taken. many of those original pressing cost more to acquire (if you can find them) than the 45rpm versions.

I own most of the 12" 45rpm pressing released in the last 20 years, maybe 1500 titles, most with 2 discs per title. some box sets too. it's been a big part of my vinyl listening.

the most credible knock on 45rpm pressing is that they contain half the music a typical 33rpm pressing have so are more hassle to get up and change and disrupt the listening flow. that is for the individual to decide the priorities.

but there is no dispute that they normally sound quite a bit better.

Post removed 
Post removed