Bluesound Node 2i vs Raspberry Pi SQ

I'm looking for the best sound quality and music server function under 500. Basically I want to be able to use my phone, tablet and PC as a remote to control FLAC files on an external hard drive. Streaming for youtube or Netflix would be nice, but I don't have a streaming service. 

Are there any R Pi solutions that can compete with the 2i on sound quality? Or Raspberry Pi + an external DAC? 

Also, is it possible to control either via foobar? That's my go to so far with my laptop. 
stuff_jones
@useryI 

I appreciate the help, and Archimago's blog.

I'll probably go with the Bluesound Node 2i first since I'm impatient to hear my first nice system. I'll look at a Raspberry Pi DAC as my first upgrade when/if the itch strikes, or when I'm simply curious to do something hands on like that.
I haven't tried everything out there as far as streamers go, but I think you will be happy with the Bluesound Node 2i. You can upgrade to a better Dac in the future if you desire. There's really nothing wrong with it's onboard Dac. You're getting good sound for the money. IMO
@usery
Thank you for posting about ApplePi DAC. If anybody has questions feel free to contact me.